Cam/valve clearance

More
07 Feb 2020 16:12 #818782 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam/valve clearance
Oversize valves are VERY common in these engines.
It would concern me that he has never seen any.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2020 16:14 #818783 by Funtimes
Replied by Funtimes on topic Cam/valve clearance
Hello, yes he degrees the cams. Thanks

More
07 Feb 2020 16:17 #818784 by Funtimes
He has built and seen many engines with the oversized intake valves, 37.5mm . This is first engine he has seen with the oversized exhaust valves. 31mm

More
07 Feb 2020 16:34 - 07 Feb 2020 16:38 #818786 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Cam/valve clearance
You may have the wrong set, (not size) of exhaust valves, for the head. This link may help. kzzone.com/valves.html
Last edit: 07 Feb 2020 16:38 by urankjj.

More
07 Feb 2020 16:41 #818787 by Funtimes
No, the valves are correct. They are Ape 31mm stainless steel. My engine builder just text me and said he has solved the problem. I will post what he tells me.. Thanks for all the input and help from everyone . I really enjoy reading this forum and glad I joined as a member. Ride long and free. !

More
07 Feb 2020 16:41 #818788 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam/valve clearance
36 inlet and 31 exhaust is the most common pairing or oversizes fitted .
This is mainly done to reclaim valve stem height by utilising the unworn part of the valve seat rather than for a performance advantage.
Rarely is one done without the other on a top end upgrade but a larger exhaust is in turbo applications or where the exhaust seats have sunk due the increased heat and wear they suffer.
37.5 intake is not normally seen on its own without an oversize exhaust.
What your builder is saying does not ring true, if he's been building these for 40 years he must have seen an oversize exhaust unless its just his own stock motors he's been maintaining.
If he's that experienced you would not be having the issues you are asking advice about.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
07 Feb 2020 16:54 - 07 Feb 2020 16:55 #818789 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Cam/valve clearance
Glad that he figured it out. Good luck to you. Keep the throttle open and the rubber down.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2020 16:55 by urankjj.

More
07 Feb 2020 17:00 #818790 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Cam/valve clearance
I'll make this really simple. A good, competent engine builder would figure out and fix the problem without ever telling his / her customer there was a problem let alone have that customer try and find solutions for them. I've come across lots of issues building engines that I simply fixed and never told or asked the customer for help. After all the customer is paying the professional for their experience and abilities.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Feb 2020 17:02 #818791 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam/valve clearance
I remember reading with the 3X cams and larger the head and valve cover has to be relieved to allow the higher lift cams to rotate.
Steve
Attachments: