Cam/valve clearance

More
04 Feb 2020 16:06 #818586 by Funtimes
Cam/valve clearance was created by Funtimes
Hello , I just joined this site although I've read a lot as a guest.
I a76 kz900 . 1075 12:1 MTV pistons. 37.5mm intake, 31mm exhaust valves. Head has been milled. I have Andrew's 3x cams and my engine builder isn't able to get the Cam, valve clearance right. He seems to think the cams are too big. I had this same engine set up back in 92 with no issues. The only difference the engine in 92 didn't have oversize exhaust valves.
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Feb 2020 16:52 #818590 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Cam/valve clearance
Welcome to KZRider
Sounds like your builder didnt grind the valve stems to achieve the proper clearances
Do you have a factory Manual
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
04 Feb 2020 17:15 #818596 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Cam/valve clearance
A set of GPZ 1100 UT related grid cams had a larger base circle as the Z1 cams that need some mods of the valve train.

More
05 Feb 2020 13:20 - 05 Feb 2020 13:21 #818676 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Cam/valve clearance
Yep when installing OS valves you sink them to get proper valve to valve clearance requiring either valve stems nipped down or smaller base circle cam.

1984 750 Turbo
Last edit: 05 Feb 2020 13:21 by DFIGPZ.

More
07 Feb 2020 11:01 #818765 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam/valve clearance

zed1015 wrote: It sound's like whoever did your head did not set the valve stem heights and you should take the head back to them rectify.
If this was your engine builder I would find another mechanic.
The 3X cams would be stock or reduced base circle cams.
The stem heights should be minimum 37.2mm to 37.7mm to allow a reasonable choice of shim sizes .
Max height is 38.2 and you are out of clearance.
This can be achieved by tipping the valves or by the use of 'J' valves which have a 1mm shorter stem depending on the current clearances.
The 31mm exhaust should not have needed sinking but the 37.5 would to achieve correct valve to valve clearance.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
07 Feb 2020 13:51 #818770 by Funtimes
Replied by Funtimes on topic Cam/valve clearance
Hello I bought the head off eBay. The valves had been cut but was too short to get proper valve clearance. I took the head to have the valves repeated and new stainless steel valves installed. The valves are shimmed with proper clearances now but my engine builder seems to think the cams are hitting the valves at some point when rotating the engine. Any suggestions , ideas. ? Thanks

More
07 Feb 2020 14:05 #818771 by Funtimes
Hello, thanks for the input. The problem isn't getting the valves shimmed. They are shimmed with the correct clearances. My engine builder seems to think the cams are contacting the valves when rotating the engine. Any ideas, suggestions. ? My engine builder has been building z1 engines for 40 years.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
07 Feb 2020 15:33 #818777 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Cam/valve clearance

Funtimes wrote: Hello, thanks for the input. The problem isn't getting the valves shimmed. They are shimmed with the correct clearances. My engine builder seems to think the cams are contacting the valves when rotating the engine. Any ideas, suggestions. ? My engine builder has been building z1 engines for 40 years.

So the problem is the valves are being lifted when the cams are rotated ?
And you have the proper clearance when the cams are on the base circle ?
And your builder has been buildiing Z1 engines for 40 years ?
Correct ????

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
07 Feb 2020 15:41 #818778 by Funtimes
Hello, yes I believe so. Not sure if the valves are being lifted but there is Cam to valve interference somewhere. The 3x cams have 418 lift, 282 duration, both intake and exhaust. My engine builder has built many engines over the years but seems to think something strange is up with my head. He has a 76 kz900 with same set up as mine except he installed Cam motion z4 cams in his...420 lift , 270 duration.

More
07 Feb 2020 15:55 - 08 Feb 2020 04:32 #818779 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam/valve clearance
If you have correct clearance then the following problems could be present if the head was not properly prepped for the high lift cams.
1. Bucket bores not clearanced for high lift cams and the cam lobe is hitting the head casting and also the underside of the cam cover. The raised cast crosses need to be removed from the cover..
2. Not enough valve to valve clearance and the valves heads are clipping each other on overlap.
3. Valve guides are not short enough for the cam lift so the retainers are hitting the top of the guides or stem seals. APE guides needed.
4. Piston valve pockets are not deep or wide enough for either the cam lift or increased valve size and the valves are contacting the piston crown.
5. Valve springs becoming coil bound.
6. Valve timing incorrect.
7. All this is basic stuff and it sounds like your builder isn't as experienced as he leads you to believe.
8. There is no such thing as "something strange going on" unless the mechanic doesn't really know what he's doing.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 08 Feb 2020 04:32 by zed1015.

More
07 Feb 2020 16:06 #818780 by Funtimes
Thanks for the input. I will run all this by my engine builder. I have complete confidence in him. He came highly recommended. He has 4 of the old z1 S that he has built. One with a turbo kit. He also has a couple of the newer laws...zx14 is one.. He did mention in all his years of building engines this is first time he has seen the oversized exhaust valves. Not sure if that is the problem. ?

More
07 Feb 2020 16:12 - 07 Feb 2020 16:17 #818781 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Cam/valve clearance
Am assuming that the cams were degreed in. That is essential for any kind of head mod's. ?
Last edit: 07 Feb 2020 16:17 by urankjj.