Malfunctioning positive neutral finder?

More
16 Dec 2019 07:06 #815455 by Fin
Hey guys- I recently picked up a 76' kz400 with under 4k miles. The bike runs great, but when I took her out for a ride she wouldn't shift up into second. I'm aware of the positive neutral finder as i've owned a couple older kawi's. One time when it did end up shifting into second, it made a terrible, ear splitting grinding and I quickly down shifted . What the hell could this be? First gear feels fine, clutch tension is fine.

Any help is appreciated, Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
16 Dec 2019 10:11 #815473 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Malfunctioning positive neutral finder?
Take a look on the shift drum mechanism parts. Opposite to the big KZ´s the mechanism is located behind the clutch basket (right Hand engine cover).

Attachments:

More
16 Dec 2019 13:25 #815485 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Malfunctioning positive neutral finder?
In addition to what Scirocco posted the Kawasaki service manual will have a troubleshooting section that outlines some of the possibilities. The KZ400.com site has a pdf manual. Warning: the forums there may harm your computer.

More
18 Dec 2019 08:35 - 18 Dec 2019 08:40 #815569 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Malfunctioning positive neutral finder?
As mentioned above, it could be a bent or broken part in the shifter mechanism, or a bent or broken shift fork, or the second gear engagement dogs could be badly damaged. There is also a chance that there is a foreign object floating around insid the transmission. A bolt, or a washer, or some such.

Did you try to engage third gear?

If the external parts seem ok, then it may be time to remove the oil pan and peek inside.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 18 Dec 2019 08:40 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, Fin

More
19 Dec 2019 06:20 #815594 by Fin
Replied by Fin on topic Malfunctioning positive neutral finder?

TexasKZ wrote: As mentioned above, it could be a bent or broken part in the shifter mechanism, or a bent or broken shift fork, or the second gear engagement dogs could be badly damaged. There is also a chance that there is a foreign object floating around insid the transmission. A bolt, or a washer, or some such.

Did you try to engage third gear?

If the external parts seem ok, then it may be time to remove the oil pan and peek inside.

I took it out yesterday, if I really pushed the bike to say 5-6k rpm in first, it would shift into second sometimes, but then slip down into neutral after I applied any power while in second gear. Once in third, the bike felt great.

More
19 Dec 2019 08:24 #815603 by TexasKZ
I would bet on buggered engagement dogs on second gear. If that is the case, I suspect the most likely solution will be to buy a used set of transmission gears and hope they are better.
So far as I know, the only way to know for certain is to open up the tranny and begin very careful inspection and measurements. You will need the factory service manual and some good measuring tools. Don't be bashful about asking questions here. This can be a daunting task to somebody with limited experience, but there are helpful members here with lots of experience and help to offer.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Dec 2019 08:29 #815605 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fin

More
19 Dec 2019 08:35 #815606 by TexasKZ
Yes, definitely check the shifter mechanism before diving into the bowels of the thing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fin

More
19 Dec 2019 14:45 #815618 by Fin
Replied by Fin on topic Malfunctioning positive neutral finder?
I'll look into the return springs and the whole ratchet assembly this weekend. Thanks a lot for the help guys i'm hoping I don't have to split the cases. Never had a bottom end apart before.