Whine in the Engine

• hardrockminer
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Nov 2019 17:58 #814044 by hardrockminer
Whine in the Engine was created by hardrockminer
Earlier this summer I began to hear a whine in my engine. I guessed that it was coming from the top cam idler so I ordered a replacement and installed it a couple of weeks before the end of the season. The whine persisted so I figured I would have to go deeper to find it. Now that the season is over I've started to tear the engine down. I pulled the head and I think I discovered the source of the whine. In the photo below are the two cam chain idlers located between the cylinders and the head. The front one is OK but the back one fell apart when I pulled it out. The inner portion had separated from the outer portion and was free wheeling. I think I saved the engine from self destruction.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Nov 2019 18:26 #814046 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Whine in the Engine

hardrockminer wrote: Earlier this summer I began to hear a whine in my engine. I guessed that it was coming from the top cam idler so I ordered a replacement and installed it a couple of weeks before the end of the season. The whine persisted so I figured I would have to go deeper to find it. Now that the season is over I've started to tear the engine down. I pulled the head and I think I discovered the source of the whine. In the photo below are the two cam chain idlers located between the cylinders and the head. The front one is OK but the back one fell apart when I pulled it out. The inner portion had separated from the outer portion and was free wheeling. I think I saved the engine from self destruction.

NO Pictures attached Buddy

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Nov 2019 19:09 - 15 Nov 2019 19:11 #814050 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Whine in the Engine
That's common for the stock idlers. I suggest Liska's all the way around.
Steve

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Nov 2019 19:11 by SWest.

More
15 Nov 2019 19:52 - 15 Nov 2019 19:53 #814051 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Whine in the Engine
+1 on the Liskas, Pricey but will last the life of the engine.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2019 19:53 by baldy110.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Nov 2019 20:35 #814052 by SWest

More
16 Nov 2019 03:12 #814054 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Whine in the Engine
A-1 on the Liska's. They are a bit noisier but I've never had any problems with them. WATCH-OUT for copycats though! I've seen some unlabeled versions on ebay. They might be just as good but....why take a chance. This thread brings to mind a long standing question I've always had. Since the early KZ650 also used the peanut chain the idlers are Exactly the same BUT have a different part number. 12053-1012 for the 650 and 12057-002 for the Z/KZ 900-1000. From research years ago I think I counted the number of needle rollers, some had 14 some 15 but that was the only difference.
Attachments:

• hardrockminer
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Nov 2019 16:29 - 16 Nov 2019 16:31 #814074 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Whine in the Engine
Not sure what happened to the photo. Here it is.

Everyone seems to like Liska. This is a stone stock bike so I ordered OEM through Partzilla. I figure the originals lasted 44 years so the new ones should be good until 2063! By that time I'll be 113 yrs old and may not be riding any longer!

Now I need to go and count needles!

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2019 16:31 by hardrockminer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx