Gear - fork misallignment

• 73z1
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2019 10:04 #813267 by 73z1
Gear - fork misallignment was created by 73z1
Well, this one is a real head scratcher, shift fork will not engage drum
Gear moves smoothly, shift forks look straight, looking for ideas, anything is possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 73z1
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2019 10:05 #813268 by 73z1
Replied by 73z1 on topic Gear - fork misallignment

More
30 Oct 2019 10:34 #813270 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Gear - fork misallignment
There's no reason why that should not go in.
The gear needs sliding to the right a little and the fork needs lifting a touch for the pin to locate in the drum track and the shaft to slide through the fork pivot.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2019 10:41 - 30 Oct 2019 10:44 #813271 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Gear - fork misallignment
First, the detente should be in neutral. Yours looks to be in some other position.

Second, it looks like the left shift fork in your photo is not correct. Here is a similar photo of my last rebuild.

Edited to add...are you trying to put the shift forks in place AFTER the cases are together?

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 10:44 by hardrockminer.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2019 10:55 #813272 by hardrockminer
Here is a photo of the detente from the side.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2019 12:36 - 30 Oct 2019 13:00 #813277 by zed1015

hardrockminer wrote: First, the detente should be in neutral. Yours looks to be in some other position.

Second, it looks like the left shift fork in your photo is not correct. Here is a similar photo of my last rebuild.

Edited to add...are you trying to put the shift forks in place AFTER the cases are together?

Everything is correct in his pic except the gear being over to the left and the fork pin is not in the track so it is currently not in the neutral position like yours .
However it does looks different to yours because even though your 3rd gear fork is laterally correct in relation to the cluster it is not correctly located on it's gear so is in an incorrect rotational position as is the drum
The two forks on the common shaft can be removed and refitted without splitting the cases.
The fork that is not located though does look slightly narrower on the shaft in the first pic which may be the pic angle as they appear to be identical in the second pic which they should be although that alone should not prevent the fork from going in.

Try swapping the forks and see if the problem moves with it.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 13:00 by zed1015.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2019 13:00 - 30 Oct 2019 13:06 #813278 by hardrockminer
Eff....you're right zed1015. I went back and checked my photos. That one was taken with the cases together but not sealed. I must have corrected it when I put the sealant on the cases. This one was taken after sealing.

The drum in 73Z1's photo looks to be incorrect. The shifting grooves are different than my last photo. I wonder if that's what's wrong?

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 13:06 by hardrockminer.

More
30 Oct 2019 16:04 - 30 Oct 2019 16:40 #813292 by zed1015

hardrockminer wrote:
The drum in 73Z1's photo looks to be incorrect. The shifting grooves are different than my last photo. I wonder if that's what's wrong?

Bloody hell the light bulb has just come on . I must be getting slow :laugh:
That gear is fourth gear with the neutral bearings in.
The gearbox isn't in first or neutral and the fork won't move over because of the second gear lockout bearings preventing the gear sliding any further across.
The drum needs rotating to neutral or first and the fork will drop in the slot..

Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 16:40 by zed1015.

• 73z1
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2019 17:17 - 30 Oct 2019 17:17 #813301 by 73z1
Replied by 73z1 on topic Gear - fork misallignment
>>> "Bloody hell the light bulb has just come on . I must be getting slow :laugh:"
I feel the same.

>>> "That gear is fourth gear with the neutral bearings in.
The gearbox isn't in first or neutral and the fork won't move over because of the second gear lockout bearings preventing the gear sliding any further across.
The drum needs rotating to neutral or first and the fork will drop in the slot.. "

Thanks for everyone that came to my aid, there are three little bearings in 1st gear that lock out 2nd gear until the bike moves.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 17:17 by 73z1.