Adding an oil cooler on a kz650

More
25 Oct 2019 16:48 #813032 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Adding an oil cooler on a kz650

Bigz wrote: About the thermostat, I had read several posts on here that said something to the effect of it being almost necessary to use one because the motor temperature wouldn't get warm enough to evaporate the water out of the case if it were constantly flowing through the cooler. Is this not the case?

A thermostat is ideal but as mentioned earlier Kawasaki didn't use them in the KZ era. You ever hear of problems because of that? I haven't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
25 Oct 2019 19:18 #813040 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Adding an oil cooler on a kz650
the thermostat lets your bike get to operating temp faster and regulates the temp of the engine better. As long as your not riding in a cold environment it probably wont present a problem to not have one.

More
26 Oct 2019 09:07 #813062 by Bigz
Replied by Bigz on topic Adding an oil cooler on a kz650
That's why I thought it may be an alright idea to add one to the system. I will ride year around if it's not snowing or raining. I live in Wichita kansas and ride in weather ranging from 30° to 104°. I think I've found the compression fittings that I have been looking for. They're AN fittings that will connect hard line to hose.(I'm sure many of you are familiar with them). Now im just trying to find the correct size for the hard line that I have. The closest that I have found are for 3/8 (.375) hard line, but the diameter of the hard line from the zr750 measures .415.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Oct 2019 09:12 #813064 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Adding an oil cooler on a kz650
I was planning on installing on on my cooler line but haven't done it for two years. I've had no problems during the winter months. Yes it does get cold here and in the high desert. If it's below 40 I just don't ride unless I have to. I don't think it's needed and just one more thing to go wrong.
Steve