Rebuild engine storage

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Oct 2019 17:18 #812528 by Ojisan rider
Rebuild engine storage was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys.

Question about how to store your engine while it's been rebuild.

Currently, my engine sits in a living room (my wife gave up on that). It's clean without any oil, except assembly lube at the crank and con-rod bearing. And naturally, all the moving parts.

Anyway, I'm about to put the pistons and jug on the crankcase. Once that is done, head cam and all other stuff will go back on, but I know I won't be able to finish all that in one day. So! Just how do you store a rebuild engine for few month? Yes, I will oil the jug before I put the piston back in but will that be enough? I should mentioned that lately, we been bit on humid side.

Oh, and BTW, can someone shed me some light on how to install the engine studs that hold the cylinder and the head? I do have stud removal tool which made some nasty marks on the studs, but is there another way besides that tool or double nuts? I tried the double nuts method but there was a reason why I bought that revmoal tool..................

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2019 11:05 - 17 Oct 2019 04:25 #812556 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Rebuild engine storage
As long as the engine components are lubed and the storage area is dry you should have no problem storing for a few months..
If the air is excessively damp then you could bag up the motor to keep the air out.
For the cyl studs , use a cylinder head nut with a 6mm or 8mm ball bearing inside and torque the stud down.
The nut will release easily once done .
If you want to part with some money though you could buy the correct tool.
www.toolstoday.co.uk/sealey-motorcycle-s...iEAQYASABEgK6BfD_BwE
If you look carefully at the top of the studs you will see a small dimple left by the factory stud installation tool which works exactly the same.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 17 Oct 2019 04:25 by zed1015.

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Oct 2019 00:06 #812978 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Rebuild engine storage
Thanks for the info. I'm specially concern after I install the piston and put the jug back on.

Anyway, I'll look for the stud installation tool. I don't mind paying for tools like that as I know I will be using it down the road somewhere. BTW, I tried your link but they don't list USA in their country list................

Anyway, thanks!

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

More
25 Oct 2019 03:04 #812979 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Rebuild engine storage
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationPlenty on EBAY that ship to USA.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Oct 2019 00:04 #813044 by Ojisan rider
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

zed1015 wrote: Plenty on EBAY that ship to USA.

Damn! One day I forgot to check evilbay, someone is already on it!:lol:

Anyway, thanks for the info. I never thought evilbay will carry them. Guess I should try them always.

More
26 Oct 2019 06:18 #813050 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rebuild engine storage
Scroll down the page a bit. These are always available.

racetoolz.com

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Oct 2019 00:58 #813108 by Ojisan rider

TexasKZ wrote: Scroll down the page a bit. These are always available.

racetoolz.com

Thank you very much for the link. Other stuff look good also!

I must admit, I'm getting old. getting little (little?) rusty finding or looking for some stuff on the net. Too much "hey Google", I think.