Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hylomar or Something Else? 07 Oct 2019 20:30 #812044

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
That is another reason I like K&W CopperCoat. When its time to remove a CopperCoated gasket, most of the time they pull right off!!!! Then a rag with some carb cleaner removes the rest of the CopperCoat film left on the gasket surface.

No jackhammer needed!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hylomar or Something Else? 08 Oct 2019 03:50 #812051

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Hylomar is an easy put on and off sealant so i could use my oil pan gasket several times.

Attachments:

Hylomar or Something Else? 08 Oct 2019 17:08 #812084

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

Scirocco wrote: Hylomar is an easy put on and off sealant so i could use my oil pan gasket several times.

do you completly coat both sides of the gasket? I'm thinking about using hylomar on my valve cover gasket which i can never get to seal.

Hylomar or Something Else? 09 Oct 2019 01:53 #812107

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I give both sides of the gasket/cover a very light coat of sealant.

Hylomar or Something Else? 09 Oct 2019 03:17 #812108

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104

Rick H. wrote: After reading 79 pages of information on gasket sealers for the KZ-1000 oil pan my eyes are wacky. It seems that there is a bit of disagreement on when or when not to use gasket sealers on almost every gasket in a Z/KZ engine, but the one I am concerned about right now is the oil pan. I decided to take it off to quell my suspicion of parts and pieces laying in the bottom of the pan so off she came yesterday. No big deal really as the exhaust is off already, but the gasket removal is a real beotch! Been working on this for a good 4 hours and only have about 2/3 rds of the block finished. The pan is sitting in my parts tank soaking. No parts to speak of in the pan, but there was an incredible amount of sludge in it. I haven't seen that much sludge since working on Ford big block pig motors back in the 70's. I wondered why my fresh oil looked so dirty after only running it about 50 miles, now I know.

Anyway, I would like to install the pan and gasket in the best manner using a sealer, or not, that allows easier removal and surface cleaning. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I read in my forum search and several people suggested something called Hylomar, but I don't know what it is, nor have I ever seen it. Are there different types of Hylomar for various applications? Years back we used to coat gaskets that we wanted to reuse with a very thin coat of bearing grease, but I don't know about doing that on the oil pan. Thanks as always. Oh, here is a pic of the inside of my oil pan.

Rick H.

I'll take a guess at the sludge, somebody used a lot of graphite grease during assembly, that stuff doesn't drain well. As for gaskets, if the surfaces are clean (no scratches) I don't use sealant.
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

• Page: