Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 11:00 #811925

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
After reading 79 pages of information on gasket sealers for the KZ-1000 oil pan my eyes are wacky. It seems that there is a bit of disagreement on when or when not to use gasket sealers on almost every gasket in a Z/KZ engine, but the one I am concerned about right now is the oil pan. I decided to take it off to quell my suspicion of parts and pieces laying in the bottom of the pan so off she came yesterday. No big deal really as the exhaust is off already, but the gasket removal is a real beotch! Been working on this for a good 4 hours and only have about 2/3 rds of the block finished. The pan is sitting in my parts tank soaking. No parts to speak of in the pan, but there was an incredible amount of sludge in it. I haven't seen that much sludge since working on Ford big block pig motors back in the 70's. I wondered why my fresh oil looked so dirty after only running it about 50 miles, now I know.

Anyway, I would like to install the pan and gasket in the best manner using a sealer, or not, that allows easier removal and surface cleaning. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I read in my forum search and several people suggested something called Hylomar, but I don't know what it is, nor have I ever seen it. Are there different types of Hylomar for various applications? Years back we used to coat gaskets that we wanted to reuse with a very thin coat of bearing grease, but I don't know about doing that on the oil pan. Thanks as always. Oh, here is a pic of the inside of my oil pan.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rick H..

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 11:13 #811926

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I would simply follow the instructions in the Kawasaki Service Manual. According to the KZ1000 manual the oil pan does not require sealant but I believe it should have a new gasket installed. Of course, that assumes there has not been any damage when removing the old gasket. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 11:40 #811930

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
If the gasket surface is clean and you use an OEM gasket the pan won't leak if you install the gasket dry.

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 11:52 #811931

• Rick H.
  • User
Great! Thanks gentlemen....

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 12:18 #811932

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one!!!

Here's mine on this subject. The only thing I have ever used on O.E.M. fiber gaskets is K&W CopperCoat since back in the early 70's. The brush on type, not that spray on stuff. Hope you don't have the newer orange colored pan gasket. They do not seal anywhere near as good as the older grayish/black colored gaskets!!! I hate doing pan gaskets on the bike. The oil seems to run down onto the gasket surface no matter how much you try to keep it free of oil. I used to spray a bunch of carb cleaner up above the gasket area and then wipe it down with paper toweling and hurry up and put the pan and gasket in place and tighten up all those pan bolts before more oil ran down onto the gasket!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 14:03 #811937

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
Use no sealant on new paper/ card gaskets.
Just coat both sides with grease to aid settlement and ease of removal and re-use in the future.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton, Rick H.

Hylomar or Something Else? 06 Oct 2019 15:30 #811940

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
Dry is good , or grease them up...
I would be more concerned with all that sludge after only 50 miles.
Ring blow by ? Need new valve guide seals ???? NO air cleaner ???????
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Hylomar or Something Else? 07 Oct 2019 05:51 #811975

• Rick H.
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Dry is good , or grease them up...
I would be more concerned with all that sludge after only 50 miles.
Ring blow by ? Need new valve guide seals ???? NO air cleaner ???????
Dave

Dave: Perhaps my post was somewhat confusing. What I meant to say was that the sludge was in the motor when I bought the bike, I just didn't know it until I dropped the oil pan. The previous owner swore that he had changed the oil a week or two before he sold the bike to me. The oil looked really dirty in the inspection window when I got the bike so I decided to change it right after I got the bike. When I decided to finally drop the pan and I drained the oil I was surprised how dirty it was when I had only put about 50 miles on the bike after I changed the oil. Once I dropped the pan and saw all the sludge I realized why my fresh oil became so dirty so quickly.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Hylomar or Something Else? 07 Oct 2019 15:59 #812024

• Zeerx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Years ago my next door neighbor was rebuilding an aircraft engine in his garage. I wandered over one evening to see how things were going and saw a large container of Hylomar. He said he used it on all the gaskets . I immediately figured if it was good enough for a plane engine it should be great for a Z1. I’ve been using it ever since. Everywhere except the head gasket. If you get some use the ‘advanced formula’. The regular stuff has a carrier the has to evaporate before reassembly. AF can be assembled right away. YMMV.
‘99 ZRX1100, ‘05 DRZ400S, ‘78 KZ1000LTD, ‘12 F150 (Ford)

Hylomar or Something Else? 07 Oct 2019 17:50 #812033

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Hylormar is good stuff. It was recommended, and I used it, when rebuilding a Mazda rotary engine. The question though is whether or not ANY sealer is needed on a pan gasket?

Last edit: by Nessism.

Hylomar or Something Else? 07 Oct 2019 18:14 #812036

• Zeerx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
If you don’t want it to leak, use Hylomar.
‘99 ZRX1100, ‘05 DRZ400S, ‘78 KZ1000LTD, ‘12 F150 (Ford)

Hylomar or Something Else? 07 Oct 2019 19:54 #812042

• Rick H.
  • User

Zeerx wrote: If you don’t want it to leak, use Hylomar.

Is there a certain type of Hylomar one should use? I think they make several different formulas. And can you get a gasket off using this stuff without resorting to a jackhammer? I don't know what was on the pan gasket I took off, but I think I spent about 4 or 5 hours getting the gasket off the engine case. At my age that can feel like an eternity all contorted over trying to see under the bike while it's on my lift.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..
  • Page: