Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 20 Jul 2019 09:49 #807884

• Big kountry
  • Big kountry's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all I received a all stock csr 650 from my father in law and it came in really good condition. (Here comes the but) but it doesn't run like it should. I have been told mechanics have been in the carbs. And so far I have seen that all the main jet needles have been moved and are visibly different from one carb to another and not by small amounts. Here's where I have the bike it can run and idle just fine fires up like a regular bike when cold choke it and when it's warm shut it off and it idles. I can get the bike moving it responds well, below 3800-4000 rpms then it falls on it's face and just isn't what it should be. The plugs are black and are the recommended plugs for the bike they have a blue spark after I let off the starter I got a new battery not too sure of the charge but it came out of my vn750 and it cranks. Air filter is clean. I am a decent mechanic I just don't have all tools. And I need some guidance with these things. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Just falls flat at more then 1/4 throttle.
Update: got the mixture leaned out and it is doing the same thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Big kountry.

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 20 Jul 2019 15:29 #807898

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You didn't mention the ignition advancer unit. Make sure it's not frozen and moves to the full-advance position when revving. You need a timing light to check the actual timing spec, but if it moves freely, it's probably good enough to run to red-line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big kountry

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 20 Jul 2019 15:50 #807900

• Big kountry
  • User
Thank you for the response I was digging around in there it seems like the advancer is free moving and opens fully but is a little rusty and the pickup for the signal is looking close to brand new and I am wondering if something is going wrong there

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 20 Jul 2019 16:15 #807902

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Pics of the plugs and bike? When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
Steve

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 20 Jul 2019 16:28 #807903

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I would check the ignition Timing/advancing movement with a Strobo light for correct timing, Rust particles on the pic-up and advancer can mess up the correct ignition timing.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 20 Jul 2019 17:45 #807906

• Big kountry
  • User
I will get back to you all when I can next work on the bike it's just to hot being over 100°. I do not know when the valves were last done up. Will do for checking the timing and I don't have any pictures of the plugs currently I will post them as soon as I can. Thank you for the support. So far these are the only pictures I have of the bike. My other one is a xl250s from 1979 with just over 2000 miles on it.
Attachments:

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 21 Jul 2019 05:22 #807914

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
"And so far I have seen that all the main jet needles have been moved and are visibly different from one carb to another and not by small amounts."

Can you add a little bit to this description? What do you mean when you say the jet needles have been moved? Were they raised? What is the number on the needle and what notch are they sitting in now?

The air intake looks to be stock. The carbs appear to need a good cleaning, at least on the outside. The exhaust is interesting...do you know how #2 pipe got rusted so badly? I am wondering if someone fiddled with the carbs when the OEM exhaust was replaced?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 21 Jul 2019 06:01 #807916

• Big kountry
  • User
The needles in these carbs are different from regular needles usually notches are what you would expect but in this bike they use a screw that is connected to the throttle bar and the screw controls how much fuel you get instead of notches and the outsides are rough I don't wanna rinse it untill I get done tearing the bike apart and putting back together the insides are clean and clear. The intake is stock and I believe too that the exhaust is stock. I think #2 and #3 are both rusty because the bike was used as main transportation and driven in the rain often.

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 21 Jul 2019 06:47 #807918

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
The stock jet needles on the 81 KZ650-CSR don't have notches (USA models).
If the jet needles are rough, someone may have soaked them in lemon juice or something.
I'm assuming you have the stock VM24 carburetors w accelerator pump.

1981 KZ650 Carburetor specification table. notice the USA jet needles don't have a groove number.

The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 21 Jul 2019 20:41 #807957

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510

Big kountry wrote: The needles in these carbs are different from regular needles usually notches are what you would expect but in this bike they use a screw that is connected to the throttle bar and the screw controls how much fuel you get instead of notches and the outsides are rough I don't wanna rinse it untill I get done tearing the bike apart and putting back together the insides are clean and clear. The intake is stock and I believe too that the exhaust is stock. I think #2 and #3 are both rusty because the bike was used as main transportation and driven in the rain often.

WTF?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 22 Jul 2019 07:10 #807975

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
I think he means you can't adjust the jet needle height by changing the clip location to another groove, since there are no grooves, so he can only adjust the needles by turning the slotted adjusting screw. By throttle bar I guess he means the throttle arm or throttle lever assy.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981 kz650 h1 needs some help 22 Jul 2019 08:01 #807977

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I think they can be shimmed, but it sounds like flow control is via a different mechanism than anything I'm used to seeing.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• Page: