Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 11 Jun 2019 16:47 #805550

• kz650guy123
  • kz650guy123's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 1982 KZ1000 K LTD with the J motor. I would like to remove (delete) the oil cooler.
So looking at the service manual it looks like the oil outlets at the pressure sensor and end of the gallery on the side should be common.
So just as an experiment I tried putting a rubber plug on both of the cooler connections on the engine. Thinking that the oil pressure on this
motor is only 3 or so psi the plug should hold on it's own.
So I just disconnected the ignition so it wouldn't start and just ran the starter a few seconds. The plug by the oil pressure sensor popped off and shot oil
across the floor. Nothing from the side connection.
I removed the plug from the side gallery connection and tried the plug on the sensor again. The sensor side popped off again and nothing came out of the side connection.
Next I tried just connecting the two connections together with a hose. Now everything works normally.
So I guess these connections are not common to the gallery in this motor ? Seems I have to use the hose to get oil into the rest of the engine.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kz650guy123. Reason: attach pics

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 11 Jun 2019 18:38 #805557

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
I bought a late model oil rizer for the oil switch. If you can use it let me know. Pics of what you have?
Steve
Attachments:

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 12 Jun 2019 13:46 #805586

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I missed your pics after your PM. I was looking for a new post.:blush: The one I have I'll send to you for postage but chances are the PO blocked off the port going into the oil galley. (commonly done) I suggest taking it off and looking. If so remove the blockage and get a gauge kit or male threaded plug for the inspection port on the side. Yeah 3 psi is the running pressure but with these pumps it will build pressure until it blows or breaks something. (no relief valve)
Steve

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 12 Jun 2019 13:56 #805587

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLooks like with what you have you're almost there. A fitting and a gauge, SCORE.
Steve

Attachments:

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 13 Jun 2019 10:05 #805664

• kz650guy123
  • User
So what you are saying SWest is that when the oil cooler was installed they blocked off the oil gallery from under the pressure switch
housing and rerouted that oil through the oil cooler and back to the side gallery plug ?
What would that plug look like and how do I remove it.
I can't find a picture of what under the pressure switch housing would look like normally.

Last edit: by kz650guy123.

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 13 Jun 2019 11:00 #805668

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Only way to find out is to take the riser off and look. One of our members found a plug in the riser. He was blowing out oil filter covers.
Steve

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 13 Jun 2019 12:50 #805678

• kz650guy123
  • User
If there is a plug in there Steve it would have to be part of the oil cooler installation.
This does look to be an aftermarket installation.
I guess I will have to do some searching for oil cooler install procedures.

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 13 Jun 2019 14:56 #805683

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Last edit: by SWest.

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 02 Jul 2019 13:01 #806863

• kz650guy123
  • User
Does anyone have a picture of what should be under the oil pressure switch riser ? Remember this is an 82 J motor.
Preferably one with an oil cooler.
thanks

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 05 Jul 2019 11:31 #807014

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Yeah. That does not look like a healthy oil cooler setup. The OEM pressure switch adapter allows oil coming from the pump to unseat the pressure switch plunger then oil turns around and feeds the main oil galley. With your setup the oil unseats the plunger then out the added fitting, through the cooler, and re-enters at the oil pressure test port. You either have a homemade blockage in the adapter stopping flow to the main galley, or no blockage and you have slim to no oil going through the cooler due to equal pressure on both sides.

Take a look at the R1 parts diagram: www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-kz1000-r1/crankcase

The oil from the pump unseats the plunger, travels through the cooler, then back to the adapter to the main galley. That's the correct way.

Remove your adapter and see if the passage between oil pump input and main galley output is blocked. If blocked, unblock (and plug the add-on fitting hole) or replace the adapter. Then just plug the test port hole in the crankcase. A 14mm short oil pan drain plug with a crush washer is a better way to go than the OEM plastic plug.

Here's the underside of the adapter. Oil simply goes in and out the two passages with the only obstruction being the oil switch plunger.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Attachments:

Last edit: by VTEC.

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 21 Jul 2019 18:30 #807948

• kz650guy123
  • User
Thanks VTEC for the post and photo.
I guess I should have said that I would like to see a photo under the pressure riser. To see what a plug should look like.
There is some kind of plug there so the oil is forced to go through the cooler before entering the main gallery.
I just don't think that I will be needing an oil cooler in my kind of riding.
I will try to post a photo of the plug under my riser. I don't really know how to remove it.

How to delete the oil cooler on a 82 J motor ? 21 Jul 2019 20:03 #807951

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I don't understand. Do you have the rizer off? With the plug in the galley only half the motor will get oil.
Steve

• Page: