Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 25 Apr 2019 17:41 #802821

• Matty-face
  • Matty-face's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello got a 1980 kz750e and I rebuilt the engine by the manual this winter after finding a slipping starter clutch. I did the timing chain and piston rings while I was in there. I initially got the timing a little wrong but it obviously never started with that just spun with the starter. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb and got new cv boots for the slides. The bike runs but it blows smoke terribly and leaks oil from the exhaust on cylinder 2. I think I hear a valve tap when I runs it but it has no stutter or lag with throttle. With the rings being new what is the most likely cause? Could the valves be leaking? When I spun the engine timed wrong could I have damaged the valve? Any help is appreciated. I don't want to start looking in the wrong place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 25 Apr 2019 18:12 #802823

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Could be a broken ring. Did you replace the valve guide seals?
Steve

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 25 Apr 2019 18:21 #802824

• Matty-face
  • User
No I did not, the clearances were good so I didn't touch them but I did get them with the gasket kit.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 25 Apr 2019 18:22 #802825

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
You do a lot of work on your engine but something gone wrong. Did you offset the Piston ring openings 120 degree of each other?
Cam Timing okay? Valve clearence in spec. Got new valve seals? Compression test? Got a Service Manual? A short Video/pics would help.
I know, a lot of questions but necessary.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 02:22 #802832

• Matty-face
  • User
Yes I spaced the openings on the rings, yes I timed the cams correctly by the service manual, yes I checked the valve clearances. Did not dio the seals, perhaps I should. It's not that hard to take the head back off and I could see if I damaged a valve by spinning the engine with the timing off about 15 degrees on the exhaust originally. Would getting a bore scope be worthwhile to see if I damaged a piston? Seems unlikely since the engine runs fine without hesitation.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 05:24 #802837

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
15 degrees is quite a lot to be out on timing. Did you try turning the motor over by hand prior to turning it over on the starter motor? Is it leaking oil from all the exhaust ports or just one?
As its smoking its either rings, valves or valve stem seals.
It sounds suspiciously like you may have slightly bent your exhaust valve/s. Time to take the head off at least and see what you did.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 05:45 #802838

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Re check the valve clearance...... a bent valve will show up by going from .005 to .013 .
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 05:57 #802839

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Matty-face wrote: ...1980 kz750e and I rebuilt the engine by the manual this winter ... I did the timing chain and piston rings... bike runs but it blows smoke terribly and leaks oil from the exhaust on cylinder 2. ... no stutter or lag with throttle. With the rings being new what is the most likely cause? Could the valves be leaking....

blows smoke terribly and leaks oil from the exhaust on cylinder 2. ... no stutter or lag with throttle. With the rings being new what is the most likely cause? Could the valves be leaking

Possibly the new oil ring in cylinder 2 was inadvertently broken during installation.

Leaking oil from #2 exhaust is likely due to improper sealing of the header pipe flange to gasket to port. Port should be clean, assure old gasket(s) removed (sometimes two old gaskets are used instead of one new gasket); can also apply high temp copper seal to hold new gasket in position during installation of the header pipes. When properly sealed, it won’t leak oil at the header pipe to exhaust port junction regardless of oil passing through the exhaust port into the header pipe.

I wouldn’t suspect a leaking valve to be causing the excessive blue exhaust smoke. But would suspect failure of combustion in cylinder #2 resulting from spark plug fouling due to all the oil getting into the combustion chamber via a broken oil ring and/or a seriously leaking valve stem seal.

Spark plug failure in cyl 2 often results in failure of combustion in cyl 3 also, because there's no high tension voltage in the secondary loop, which high tension voltage is supposed to fire both of these two spark plugs #2 and #3 in the secondary loop.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 09:26 #802852

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Just for my own curiosity, how does one check valve stem seal clearance.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 10:12 #802856

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
:lol:

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 12:44 #802866

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Don't know why I bother.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Oil leak from exhaust flange after piston ring replacement 26 Apr 2019 14:58 #802872

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
sounds like oil ring rolled over.
1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• Page: