Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 15:04 #800504

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
my 79 kz ltd 1400 block for a while I noticed a little oil brilliance after using on the cylinder on the right side nothing mayor but I specially notice after cleaning the whole engine with degreaser and going for a ride I an pretty sure don't come from the valve cover and now the left side is leaking and I am pretty sure is the head gasket any suggestions?
should I try to re torque the head?
worst I guess will have to open the engine and measure the bores and thickness of the gasket in order to replace it.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 15:09 #800505

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Check to see if leaks are coming out from the 4 outside corner head nuts . If so may want new copper washers before re torque

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 15:16 #800506

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Pictures may help us help you.

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 17:24 #800509

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Seems like coming from the middle. not really from the side studs the head gasket installed looks like copper one.
I have to open the valve cover to do a valve adjustment and its seems under bucket so I will have to remove the cams and and I am planing to fit a manual tensioner.
So if new head gasket or the Ring have to be replaced would be the time to do it unless any suggestion from you guys help me to stop it.
I also had an issue that was posted in a different tread that was a casing that was damagded when whoever did that engine bored the cases and fitted the oversized jugs.
after few attempts I managed to seal it with aeronautical clear 2 compound epoxy and don leak anymore.
but my brother say to also replace the bottom gasket and have the Casin welded but I am a bit skeptic.
anyways I wait for your thoughts.
If the pics are not good let me know and tomorrow I will retake them in the day.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD. Reason: fixed pictures

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 17:34 #800510

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Sayonara
I fixed your pictures.
Please in the future use the insert button before submitting your post
You might as well tear off the motors top end to fix your leak.
Take pictures once you pull off the cylinder
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 18:16 #800519

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Looks like copper RTV. Copper head gaskets are notorious for weeping. That looks like a fibre one. Might try to retorque but if you can it would be better to take off the head and redo the gaskets.
Steve

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 18:17 #800520

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
BTW, a repaint would make it look better too. :whistle:
Steve

Head leaking oil 17 Mar 2019 19:31 #800534

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
The manual for my bike specifically says to use a gasket sealant on the four outer bolts. I'm not sure if this is common on these engines or just the 750s.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Head leaking oil 18 Mar 2019 07:21 #800560

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
I will try re torque if not will pull the head out and do the new gasket, do you think I should replace the base gasket too?
I will have to if I decide to pull the cylinders out to do repair the case but the fix I did worked and I don't mind leaving it like that.
the paint is been pealing and I was waiting to do the valve shims adjustment to peal it off and repaint it without carbs, covers and the radiator hoses.
Thank you you are very kind and always contribute to the treads very appreciated your input
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Head leaking oil 18 Mar 2019 07:38 #800563

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I should have replaced the base gasket but was in a hurry to ride. I re torqued it and the leak slowed down but is still weeping. Going back in soon and will do it then.
Steve

Head leaking oil 18 Mar 2019 07:43 #800565

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
In between the cylinders there is no oil passage, hence no oil pressure to leak. (Except the cam chain galley) It is likely coming from the left and right outermost studs and more than likely blowing / seeping over to in between the slugs.

My bike is also leaking again, and this time I plan to glue it together with hondabond or something similar. It did appear the factory glued these motors together too, or the warranty oil leak repairs would have driven them crazy. Those special flat o-rings are pretty pricey too, but I already have new OEM head gaskets and another 4 here ready to get glued into place. I hate oil leaks. :sick:
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

Head leaking oil 18 Mar 2019 09:37 #800577

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
You should not need to replace the base gasket. For the head gasket I always use OEM. (And everything else if available. If not...I use Vesrah.)
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.