Finicky shifting on a 81 KZ440 LTD chain drive

More
03 Mar 2019 19:12 #799651 by Stingray812
There were two major issues when I bought this bike. One was it wouldn't turn over and I think I solved that problem, we'll see. The other was that I couldn't shift through all the gears. I could go from neutral to first and back to neutral but I couldn't get it to go any in other gears. I was hoping it was a broken return spring but that appeared to be in great shape. I split the case to have a look inside at the transmission hoping it was a broken fork but everything inside seemed to be in order. The only thing that I could see was that it appeared the fork was "catching" in the groove on the drum when I tried to shift from 1st to second. I can spin everything and keep messing with it and it will eventually go in gear. I'm just wondering if this a common Kawasaki problem or if it will be better when the bike is actually moving. Has anyone else experienced this? Go easy on me, this is my first time venturing into anything like this. :-)

1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ305

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2019 21:01 #799658 by 650ed
If you were trying to shift it through the gears with the engine off what you experienced is perfectly normal. It has a lockout feature (see the 3 balls in diagram below) that prevents it from upshifting when the bike is not running. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2019 07:40 #799670 by Stingray812
Replied by Stingray812 on topic Finicky shifting on a 81 KZ440 LTD chain drive
I was curious what purpose those served. Now I know! Thanks for the help!

1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ305