82 KZ750 Shaft - Clutch Issues?

• zeecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Zombie Cycles
More
03 Mar 2019 08:47 - 03 Mar 2019 09:30 #799580 by zeecycles
82 KZ750 Shaft - Clutch Issues? was created by zeecycles
Hi all, we picked up a non-running KZ750N, stripped the carbs/tank and rebuilt (took forever to get the black paint off the carbs). We put it all back together last night and -of course- she fired right up.

Other than needing a carb tune up, the motor sounded OK, but there was a distinct metal on metal rattling coming from the transmission area. The clutch would not engage/disengage, is very hard to pull, but the bike would go into 1st with no issue. While in 1st, revving the engine slightly did not seem to affect the noise. The obvious issue seems to be with the clutch. Note: previous owner had swapped out the stock bars with renthal-mx bars, but did not change the clutch cable. He didn't ride it after the swap (gave up on the carbs), and it sat for ~8 months before I picked it up. Probably for many years indoors before that.

Before we tear into it, has anyone experienced this before? Or have any recommendations in general? This is our first KZ/shaft.

Thanks!

Zombie Cycles - Husband/Wife Team - Bringing Dead Moto's Back to Life - Bend, Oregon
Current Project: 1982 KZ750-N Spectre
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 09:30 by zeecycles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2019 10:32 - 03 Mar 2019 13:04 #799600 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 82 KZ750 Shaft - Clutch Issues?
I don't know what the problem is but regardless, I recommend a new clutch cable and new OEM clutch springs. The springs sack out with age and a new cable is a thing of beauty regardless of what the issue at hand proves to be.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 13:04 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zeecycles

More
03 Mar 2019 13:00 #799607 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic 82 KZ750 Shaft - Clutch Issues?
Metal-onmetal rattling from the transmission area sounds a lot like the primary chain. It's pretty common, as they don't have tensioned primary chains in these engines. It's really common to see at low revs and especially if the carbs need syncing.

This is what primary chain noise can sound like on poorly-synced carbs. Hope that helps.

1981 KZ750 LTD

• zeecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Zombie Cycles
More
04 Mar 2019 14:36 - 04 Mar 2019 15:29 #799713 by zeecycles
Replied by zeecycles on topic 82 KZ750 Shaft - Clutch Issues?

Nessism wrote: I don't know what the problem is but regardless, I recommend a new clutch cable and new OEM clutch springs. The springs sack out with age and a new cable is a thing of beauty regardless of what the issue at hand proves to be.

Thanks. Definitely going to do that. Any recommendations for a shorter clutch cable that will work? I need one that is at least 3" shorter.
Code:

Irish Yobbo wrote: Metal-onmetal rattling from the transmission area sounds a lot like the primary chain. It's pretty common, as they don't have tensioned primary chains in these engines. It's really common to see at low revs and especially if the carbs need syncing.

This is what primary chain noise can sound like on poorly-synced carbs. Hope that helps.

Thanks! That's what it sounds like. I'll get the carbs synced and go from there.

Zombie Cycles - Husband/Wife Team - Bringing Dead Moto's Back to Life - Bend, Oregon
Current Project: 1982 KZ750-N Spectre
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 15:29 by zeecycles.

More
04 Mar 2019 17:37 #799728 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 82 KZ750 Shaft - Clutch Issues?
For a shorter clutch cable consider one from a GPz model or at least one with lower bars than your bike came with. The OEM cables are better than aftermarket so I suggest staying with Kawasaki if possible.