Tachometer stopped functioning

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2019 12:56 - 26 Feb 2019 13:10 #799264 by WarrensKZ
Tachometer stopped functioning was created by WarrensKZ
In preparation for spring, Ive started getting my KZ650 (77) ready.

Today I took her for a spin after changing the oil yesterday . Mysteriously, the tach has stopped operating. All the connections look fine but I get nothing from the tach. Any idea what may have caused this and how to proceed with fixing?

Thank you gentlemen.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 13:10 by WarrensKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2019 13:14 #799268 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Tachometer stopped functioning
You can check the clock itself by inserting a match where the cable normally fits and spinning with your fingers. If thats ok, check the cable, the inner will slide out the sleeve and it should be one piece. The tacho drive end should be squared off where fits into the clock. If thats good next check the drive. Without the cable fitted, start the engine and you should be able to see the center of the drive spinning.
Once you have determined which part is not working we can suggest a fix.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2019 13:49 - 26 Feb 2019 15:08 #799272 by WarrensKZ
Replied by WarrensKZ on topic Tachometer stopped functioning

Warren3200gt wrote: You can check the clock itself by inserting a match where the cable normally fits and spinning with your fingers. If thats ok, check the cable, the inner will slide out the sleeve and it should be one piece. The tacho drive end should be squared off where fits into the clock. If thats good next check the drive. Without the cable fitted, start the engine and you should be able to see the center of the drive spinning.
Once you have determined which part is not working we can suggest a fix.

Thanks. I just had a look. Disconnected the cable from where it fits into tach. Started the engine. The center of the drive was not spinning.

After that, I disconnected the cable from where it connects to the engine header. Tried to pull the drive out and it came out easy, and not in one piece. Looks like it snapped. Guess that was that clicking sound I heard just before it failed.

I ordered a new cable. Thanks for your guidance.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 15:08 by WarrensKZ.