• Page:

TOPIC:

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 19 Feb 2019 08:25 #798880

• jbeebe1
  • jbeebe1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey everyone,

I have (among others) a 93 zr750 (zephyr) in the garage right now that is displaying the classic starter clutch symptoms. It skips and "clunks" 99.9% of the time while cranking and only briefly "catches" to rotate the engine once-in-a-while. I'm not worried about being able to fix it, i'm only worried about knowing what to fix! haha

1) Could I just buy a rebuild kit for $30 that contains the pins and springs and call it a day?

2) Can someone provide me a parts list of things to buy from Kawi?

3) any good write-ups around? I found a few threads and videos from different kz's but there were variations and i'm not quite sure what i'll have to do for the Zephyr.

I appreciate your guidance!
79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70
others coming in and out all the time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 19 Feb 2019 09:32 #798884

• Pipes66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
In my recent experience,only when you’ve removed the s clutch assembly can you make the decision. Here’s how to approach it:
Check starter gear hasn’t gone smooth and shiny on the area that engages “in” the s clutch,if it has you’re definitely going to want to replace it ,£80 new.
Check s clutch “ramps” where the rollers slide up and down. Get a magnifying glass and make sure there’s no dents on it. If there’s any damage at all,buy a new one £106.
Repair kit is £25 but imho if you can’t guarantee the s clutch don’t risk it!

However,I’m sure plenty of good folk on here will advise you buy a 2nd hand complete zephyr s clutch off eb@y for £30 lol
1983 kz750 F1 Ltd Shaft US model

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 19 Feb 2019 10:40 #798887

• jbeebe1
  • User

Pipes66 wrote: In my recent experience,only when you’ve removed the s clutch assembly can you make the decision. Here’s how to approach it:
Check starter gear hasn’t gone smooth and shiny on the area that engages “in” the s clutch,if it has you’re definitely going to want to replace it ,£80 new.
Check s clutch “ramps” where the rollers slide up and down. Get a magnifying glass and make sure there’s no dents on it. If there’s any damage at all,buy a new one £106.
Repair kit is £25 but imho if you can’t guarantee the s clutch don’t risk it!

However,I’m sure plenty of good folk on here will advise you buy a 2nd hand complete zephyr s clutch off eb@y for £30 lol

good advice! I'm definitely not opposed to just buying it all before I even break into it. Or buying a used unit off ebay.

please keep the advice coming guys!
79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 20 Feb 2019 02:56 #798912

• Pipes66
  • User
Read my recent post”kz750 starting problem”there’s some v helpful pics of the starter gear.
Also you will read the success I have had swapping to a different oil,what oil are you using?

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 20 Feb 2019 03:02 #798913

• jbeebe1
  • User

Pipes66 wrote: Read my recent post”kz750 starting problem”there’s some v helpful pics of the starter gear.
Also you will read the success I have had swapping to a different oil,what oil are you using?

Thanks, I'll check that thread out. Is the kz750 engine and gearbox the same as mine? Did you follow a write-up or manual to get the s. clutch assembly out?

As far as oil weight, I'm not sure. I just got the bike a week ago as a flip.
79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

Last edit: by jbeebe1.

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 20 Feb 2019 03:38 #798915

• Pipes66
  • User
From what I’ve read on here the zephyr s clutch is the same as my kz750,but better,not sure why.
If I were you I would get her running hot,drain the oil and the filter of oil,if it’s clean oil put the filter back in and try some 10w/40 semi synthetic. It could just be the wrong weight and a lot cheaper and waaaaaay easier than changing the s clutch. And you can always drain it into a clean container for re-use after you’ve changed the s clutch,if needs be.

You can do it with a manual but you’re gonna need some tools you may not have. For starters you will need a clutch holding tool,one of the mole grip types is fine,and you could do with an impact gun to get your clutch hub nut off easily. It can be done with a breaker bar and a length of tube over the end or a flywheel strap but it’s a faff. Oh,it’s soooooo much easier on a bike lift,invest now if you don’t own one,really,I bought a 2nd hand one for £200 and it’s my best tool.
You can follow the instructions in the manual,it’s pretty basic stuff,just a lot of work removing exhaust,footpegs,engine covers,clutch etc. Once you’ve got it all off and the sump is removed it’s fairly easy to slide the secondary shaft through to the rhs and jiggle the s clutch and gear out together. After you’ve done it you will realise it’s not hard, Just time consuming.

Top tip, there’s some staked screws on a retainer plate you will come across and have to remove,make sure you have the correct screwdriver bit to undo them. You usually get a selection in a decent socket set and from memory it’s a pz3 or something, you will know coz it fits like a glove and doesn’t ruin the screw,lol.
You need to remove the secondary shaft nut on the lhs under the blanking cover or certainly loosen it before removing the clutch assembly. If not that’s where the flywheel tool comes in.

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 20 Feb 2019 07:41 #798931

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Change the oil. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 21 Feb 2019 04:15 #798979

• jbeebe1
  • User
Would anybody happen to have a digital copy of the FSM they could email me? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the info guys, after doing some searching around the forum I can't believe how much the oil weight is affecting people's starter clutch.

I use rotella 15w-40 dino oil in all of my other old bikes. I'll try an oil change with the 10-40 semi-synthetic though.

I have a Yamaha 750 that I'm putting back together now, and once that's out of my garage in another week I'll be able to start working on the Zephyr. Pipes, thanks for the tips and the steps. I have air tools and some skill, but it would still be nice to have a manual for picture references.
79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 21 Feb 2019 04:46 #798981

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
KZ/GPz manual here. Most engine elements are same as the Zephr
www.750turbo.com/manuals/GPz750_Base%20Manual.pdf

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 21 Feb 2019 04:55 #798983

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Attachments:

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 21 Feb 2019 04:57 #798984

• jbeebe1
  • User
Thanks guys!
79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

Zephyr 750 starter clutch how-to and parts list? 27 Feb 2019 17:06 #799352

• jbeebe1
  • User
I replaced the oil, but can't get it started to really cycle it through. Still won't ever "grab" to turn the engine over. Time to break it down!

What parts should I order from the dealer/online?
79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

• Page: