• Page:

TOPIC:

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 06:16 #795405

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
While looking for a little oil leak from ignition that I thought it was from the ignition cover gasket I noticed that was actually coming from behind a repair that was almost unnoticeable and was filled with something.
I used the dermal to remove it and found a casing damage, I know the ideal solution would be disassemble the engine and weld and machine the engine or get a new one and bore it to fit the big block but its out of my budget and mechanical skills.
the engine its running good and strong so I would like to know what can I use to fill it up and repair it.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 07:11 #795408

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
JB Weld should do it now you got it clean. Get the quick set type not the regular kind. Are you sure it's not coming from a gasket and that's not just a blemish in the casting?
Steve

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 09:32 #795423

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Looks like some PO bored out the engine case to big for the big block sleeves.

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 13:48 #795434

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
A welder could probably weld that in situ. It's usually just a matter of heating it up to burn off any oil that could seep out, then grinding down into the cracks to make a wider channel, welding to fill the newly ground channel, and then grinding off the excess. You could simply use a brazing rod instead of welding too.

You could try using an aluminium epoxy or a brazing rod to fill in the gap without grinding, but the main problem there is the oil sitting in the crack. You can burn the oil off to prevent it from seeping out when working on it, but you can never fully remove it, which is why grinding it down first is a better option.

JB weld as SWest mentioned should work reasonably well too, but it won't be a permanent fix and it will look like you've got a blog of gum stuck to your engine.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 18:27 #795446

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Well I am not 100% its not the gasket yet but I am pretty sure this was leaking as the paste they had put on it it was in place but I could see the oil coming out when putting pressure on it and when I remove it too.
I was thinking to take it to a machine shop to solder it in situ but my brother says that it could damage the cylinder, I also tough that if that cylinder jug had the O ring underneath as the original does, it could damage it. A friend that work in aerospace said it might be some coper kind of thing that its not epoxy that might work but he will get back to me on that one.
Now the question is, if it can be soldered has to be with something that does not weld the casing and the cylinder jug so in the future can be disassembled.
what you guys think?
I really appreciate your time in helping with your opinions it means a lot .
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Last edit: by Sayonara.

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 19:43 #795450

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Yes! Anything for Industry, that cost real money "DEVCON" has a full line of aluminum repair products.
Clean. heat the oil out of the pores with propane heat. More cleaning with bad solvents that evaporate.
Lay bike on side flat.
Or use that aluminum brazing rod that melts at around 750' F with a propane torch. puddle it up. It might take? Ebay $12.00 for 5 rods. cool google vids!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 19:49 #795451

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
Interesting.
Starts everytime!

Casing damage 19 Dec 2018 20:46 #795452

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
Clean it up and reseal it. Any attempt to weld or 'braze' at that location will create more problems.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Casing damage 21 Dec 2018 20:39 #795526

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Thnank

Casing damage 22 Dec 2018 04:00 #795532

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1467
That is a common problem with cases that have been bored to accept a big block and there's not much you can do about it with the engine assembled except wipe more sealer over it.
The shiny patch you can see is actually the cast iron cylinder liner spigot so welding over it is not possible without cracking the liner but you could try laying an alloy plate over the hole with the block off and welding around it but you will likely still have oil weepage issues afterwards.
Looks like a very big bore to break through like that and you will also see the blue sealer in the pry slot towards the front of the block which will also leak oil as the case boring has cut into the slot leaving no crankcase face under the base gasket in that area so that would need welding and facing also.
My 1428 came nowhere near to breaking through so it's either heading towards 1500cc or they used very thick liners and chances are that the crankcase mouth is the same on the other side of the motor too and will need the same treatment.
If this motor is for the road I wouldn't recommend it for a reliable daily .
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Casing damage 23 Dec 2018 11:01 #795577

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
It's amazing what a second look shows! I thought that was a patch of epoxy or JB something?
I did not realize that was the steel liner showing in picture!
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Casing damage 23 Dec 2018 16:00 #795585

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

z1kzonly wrote: It's amazing what a second look shows! I thought that was a patch of epoxy or JB something?
I did not realize that was the steel liner showing in picture!

WOW, you are correct. I just glanced at it quickly the other day, and thought that was just some shiny aluminum casting that he polished up with a dremel tool or something.
Like Zed1015 said, that block needs to be disassembled, and have an aluminum patch laid over it then tig welded onto the case. Them's some pretty thin cases thar manard! lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

• Page: