Not so good.

More
23 Jun 2018 22:12 #785774 by menace
Not so good. was created by menace
So I have been riding everything has been good finally got all the bugs out then wham. I pinned it hard off a stop light the oil light came on then stayed on so I shut her down and put her on the side of the rode a minute then I turned her back on and I was good. It happen twice just after ripping on it hard from a stop light. Also my light is flickering on the tach side of the gauges. Left side speedo does not flicker. And tips? The oil level is perfect. I will be putting a oil pressure gauge on it for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
23 Jun 2018 22:53 #785777 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Not so good.
In the old days an oil light on hard acceleration was common on the Z1's. The problem was the oil went to the back of the oil pan while the pickup was in the front of the pan. Some used this as an indication of how the bike was running. I'm not sure when Mama K fixed this or even if they did. The fix is a installation of a baffle in the pan. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
24 Jun 2018 05:35 #785782 by Nicknhra
Replied by Nicknhra on topic Not so good.
had this issue when i first bought mine off someone, oil was black, oil light came on under hard accel, did an oil change 200 miles ago, hasn't happened since.

1981 Kawasaki kz1000M

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2018 05:50 #785786 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Not so good.
Menace is correct on the lack of a baffle on the early Zeds. This was corrected early in the first year, so all subsequent bikes have a baffle in the oil pan.

In your case you may have accumulated debris on the intake screen to your oil pump. It's easy to clean. Just drop the oil pan and pull the pump off and clean it.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
24 Jun 2018 06:19 #785790 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Not so good.
Despite the baffle in the pan, the oil light can still come on under hard acceleration.
If it still does it after making sure the pump pick-up etc is clean and the oil condition and amount is as it should be you then need to fit an aftermarket "gate".
store.schnitzracing.com/mtc-oil-pan-gate-kawasaki-kz900-kz1000/
They are only pennies to buy and fit but could save you a fortune.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
24 Jun 2018 08:41 - 24 Jun 2018 08:42 #785795 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Not so good.

""Menace is correct on the lack of a baffle on the early Zeds. This was corrected early in the first year, so all subsequent bikes have a baffle in the oil pan.""

I can't confirm the factory fix. I bought my 74 (a second year) new and it would flicker the oil light under hard accel. Both 75'sincluding the current 75 would/will flicker the oil light under hard accel all being in first gear.

But the best thing is yesterday I rode with the COG friends in what turned out to be a spirted ride on some twisty roads which managed to negatively affect fuel consumption. It sure was fun. It made me forget I'm supposed to be more responsible at 65. B)

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 08:42 by Z1Driver.