Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioner KZ750

More
15 Jun 2018 08:28 #785203 by lousankz
Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioner KZ750 was created by lousankz
Hey All,

My recently purchased KZ750-E came with an aftermarket cam chain tensioner. Since I have had the bike since April, I have put about 150 miles on it. I have some basic maintenance I will be doing on the bike this weekend (valve clearance check, oil, clean carbs) which I have been able to find DIY instructions in the Clymer manual that came with my bike (I know OEM is preferred so I am doing separate research as well).

There's a sound coming from the motor over the last 50ish miles that sounds like a slack chain when revving up (I have a video if interested) so I figured it might be a good time to make sure the CCT is tensioned properly. Problem is, I haven't been able to find any really clear instructions on how to do this with an aftermarket tensioner since the Clymer only speaks to the OEM tensioners the bike came with. I am fairly terrified of snapping the CCT based on how much thread the bolt has left in it. Can anyone shed light on the process?

1981 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jun 2018 15:10 #785217 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioner KZ750
Turn the engine over with a 17mm wrench on the crank to a spot where it is relaxed. Finger tighten the bolt until you feel resistance then back off 1/8-1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut and see how it sounds.
Better a little loose than too tight.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousankz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.