I think I really f#@&Ed up

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jun 2018 05:51 - 12 Jun 2018 05:52 #785000 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
Not enough. They say overfill the groove let it cure then cut flush with a razor blade. Using the copper RTV I've been filling it and put it together wet. This time I'll try it their way.
Steve
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 05:52 by SWest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2018 07:35 #785005 by menace
Replied by menace on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
so can it be all over the matting surface or does it have to be perfect and only in that groove?. can i let it dry in layers and ad more? this seems like a giant @#@$($% joke to have to do this. does wiesco have anything in print some where besides the bullshit that they send with the gasket? Steve how did it go when you put yours together wet did it leak? i used black rtv thats rated for high temp .

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jun 2018 07:55 #785006 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
It seeps after a while. That's why I'm going to try it their way. Silicon doesn't stick to itself. Best to pull the old stuff out and start over. It's mainly to fill the void and let the gasket seal. I use copper spray unless the gasket is new. I will do a light coating just around the cam chain tunnel on both sides if new.
Steve

More
12 Jun 2018 09:55 #785013 by menace
One of the local KZ guys also known as the KZ god of my area said that he never fills the void of the o-ring he just coats MLS gasket with gascasinch then assembles it. the man suggesting this has been building kz's for years and owns his own shop he has been doing it that way since the 90s. what do you guys think?

More
20 Jun 2018 14:03 #785524 by menace
i got the head sealed up no leaks so far after 50 miles. i am worried that the base gasket on the cylinders is leaking. the gasket is wet where the block meets the top half of the cases all the way around the where it protrudes from the cases. is there anything i can do to fix this other that taking the entire engine apart?

More
28 Jun 2018 16:37 #786074 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
I spoke with Wiseco and they say install dry on all head gaskets.

Did you use an OEM base gasket? The sealant coating makes all the difference. But as always both gasket surfaces must be clean.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
29 Jun 2018 08:34 #786094 by menace
I used the base gasket that the wiesco 1075 kit comes with. I did not use any sealer at the time of install just the stock o-rings and the base gasket. It is not leaking at all at the moment. Everything is going pretty well with the bike now that i have it set up good and proper just need to drop the main jet a size or two. It runs out hard with no issues its just not perfect. This morning i felt some raw fuel come out of the exhaust and hit the back of my leg it has to be too fat. The plugs look pretty good but its hard to get a solid plug reading living in my neighborhood and no dyno around.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Jun 2018 09:52 #786098 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
Head gasket sealing! BLUE HYLOMAR! Don't know if this new brand is same as original that permatex used to sell? But back in the 90's When the Great Late Legend "Elmer Trett" used to rule the Top Fuel Nitro bikes. "Puppet" Racevisions built chassis. Fastest bike in the world at the time!
Elmer said HYLOMAR was the only stuff that would seal his head. I used to get it in spray cans. I might have to try it soon.
Spread it out with a charge card type spreader.
www.amazon.com/Hylomar-Universal-Blue-Ga...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
29 Jun 2018 23:22 #786134 by Big Jay
Replied by Big Jay on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
put some strong cylinder studs in it so you can tighten them.

More
30 Jun 2018 08:07 - 30 Jun 2018 08:07 #786146 by Zeerx
Replied by Zeerx on topic I think I really f#@&Ed up
Hylomar is the best stuff out there. My next door neighbor built an airplane in his garage and used hylomar on all the engine seals. I figured if it was good enough for the FAA it was good enough for Z1’s. I use it on all seals, o rings and gaskets. Except the head gasket, that goes on dry. Use the “Advanced Formula”. The regular hylomar has a solvent carrier that must evaporate before assembly. AF does not and can be assembled right away. Good luck.

‘99 ZRX1100, ‘05 DRZ400S, ‘78 KZ1000LTD, ‘12 F150 (Ford)
Last edit: 30 Jun 2018 08:07 by Zeerx.

More
30 Jun 2018 10:32 #786151 by menace
I know of a product called gascasinch it is pretty high quality stuff. thanks for input its always good to have knowledge. I am about to buy a modded out turbo drag bike so i am going to need a lot of help figuring it out.