Oil question

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 May 2018 11:45 - 28 May 2018 12:00 #784247 by missionkz
Oil question was created by missionkz
Does anyone know if this oil from Walmart is any good?
I like the idea of 20w-50w rating for my 1075cc +10.5:1 compression ratio engine.
But I’ve never run a drop of synth oil in my KZ.
Been using Rotella for the last four years now.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2018 12:00 by missionkz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
28 May 2018 14:02 #784255 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Oil question
I wouldn´t use synth oil in my KZ with a roller bearing crank.

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 May 2018 14:51 #784265 by SWest

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
28 May 2018 19:37 #784281 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Oil question
Good question, Why? Synthetic oil is used in jet engines. I've never heard of synthetic oil being bad for roller bearings. I must admit I have only used dino in my Z1. However, I have been thinking of going to a synthetic since I use it in my C14.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
29 May 2018 05:28 #784288 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil question
Some people think synthetic oil is more slippery and causes roller bearings to skid and not roll. Personally, I don't think you need to worry about such things when using formulated motor oil. There are many many guys running synthetic oil in their GS Suzuki's over on the GS Resources site and I've yet to hear of one person having any issues.

More
29 May 2018 06:57 - 29 May 2018 06:59 #784299 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Oil question
I think this concern falls under “persistent urban legend.” I have not seen any real evidence that synthetics are more slippery. That is the role of friction modifiers that are so prevelant in automotive oils and are so damaging to wet clutches.
As I understand it, the advantage of synthetics is that they are crafted with short chain molecules that are better at resisting breakdown than long-chain molecules. This allows longer change intervals as the viscosity breakdown is much slower.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 29 May 2018 06:59 by TexasKZ.

More
29 May 2018 08:06 #784305 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Oil question
Unrelated to the friction issue, I heard an interview with a synthetic oil manufacturer and he seemed to confirm the idea that a motor that spent a long life of running non-synthetic should stick with non-synthetic, but the issue was oil seals. A seal broken-in to seal non-synthetic oil may seep a bit if it's suddenly having to seal out synthetic. I'm not sure if it was related to static seals like valve covers etc., but I think he was talking about crank seals, or whenever you have a moving part going through a seal.

Sorry I don't remember who it was... maybe Royal Purple or Amsoil.

More
29 May 2018 14:39 #784324 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oil question
Oil threads are great and I never reply to oil threads.... errr dang I think I just did.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Scirocco

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 May 2018 14:46 #784325 by SWest

More
30 May 2018 19:48 #784382 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Oil question
Synthetic oils maintain their viscosity through a higher and lower range of temperatures than petroleum based oils. Other than that, I haven't seen any real proof to other advantages. And no, it doesn't mean you can change the oil less often. It gets dirty just like the rest.

As far as break-in, everybody says don't use synthetic. Just to be safe I'll follow the lead and fire-up with petroleum. But several car manufacturers use synthetic from day one on performance engines.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

More
31 May 2018 05:03 - 31 May 2018 05:04 #784398 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil question

VTEC wrote: Synthetic oils maintain their viscosity through a higher and lower range of temperatures than petroleum based oils. Other than that, I haven't seen any real proof to other advantages. And no, it doesn't mean you can change the oil less often. It gets dirty just like the rest.

As far as break-in, everybody says don't use synthetic. Just to be safe I'll follow the lead and fire-up with petroleum. But several car manufacturers use synthetic from day one on performance engines.

Synthetic oils hold their viscosity longer than dyno oils, commonly expressed as they "don't break down" as fast, which is true. That's why you can extend the change interval. The filter removes particulate matter and the oil contains acid buffers to offset combustion byproduct contamination. Diesel fleet owners perform oil analysis tests to measure things like how much acid buffer is left and the viscosity index to determine when the oil needs to be changed, and synthetic can definitely run longer.

Regarding synthetic oil from new, it's true that lots of engines come that way these days. On my KZ I still used dyno oil for the early break in miles though. The cylinder bores are not as straight and round as a brand new engine and I didn't want to push my luck. Call it lack of knowledge on my part maybe. Or superstition?
Last edit: 31 May 2018 05:04 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ