help diagnosing misfiring cylinder

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 May 2018 07:24 #783601 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic help diagnosing misfiring cylinder
My bet would be a clogged #4 pilot jet. I would also replace the spark plug caps.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: aenikolopov

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2018 07:41 #783602 by 650mod
Replied by 650mod on topic help diagnosing misfiring cylinder
I had something similar happen on my '78 650. I chased my tail for a long time, pretty well ready to just call it quits and walk away from it.

If you haven't had the carbs off for a good clean, do this. And make sure you REALLY clean them out well. I thought I had initially cleaned mine well after I picked the bike up, but found the same thing you did when you took the bowl off- there was a bit of dirt and particulate in the bowls. So I took everything off, and heavily soaked the carbs (all of them) in carb cleaner. Take all of your adjusting screws out (but make sure you note where you started) and soak all the passages. Take the floats off completely and remove any o-rings. Replace the o-rings if they seem worn, cracked, or rotting at all. These can also drop particulate into passageways. After things have soaked for a while, take compressed air and thoroughly blow out all of the passages. I was surprised at how much particulate came out of my carbs when I did this. It's easiest to do with a rubber air tip as it seals well against the opening. Blow air in both ways through the openings to fully dislodge anything. Soak the carbs again if you feel the need to and repeat the cleaning process.

Any small particulate can cause big issues with fueling like that. Especially if there's anything worked into the pilot air circuit. I know it can be a painful, tedious process to do a full clean, but give it a go. It sounds like this could be one of the last things to really check.

Good luck!

78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

More
18 May 2018 08:00 - 18 May 2018 08:02 #783603 by JR
Replied by JR on topic help diagnosing misfiring cylinder

Also, I noticed again, that I am easily shocked when I ground myself with one hand and touch #4 at the bottom of the boot, right by the engine.

You should not get a shock when touching the plug cap or high tension lead. This would indicate the HT charge leaking via dirt or corrosion or crud or moisture and probably a poor or intermittent spark

My suggestion would be to take off the gas tank, wipe down the coil(s) and plug leads (HT leads) with a cloth. Spray the coils and wires with WD 40 and wipe again.
Remove the plug cap, cut 1/4 inch from the end of the plug lead and screw the plug cap back on or replace it altogether as Steve suggested as they do go bad. The resistors in the cap sometimes fail
Clean the plug cap and clean the ceramic part of the plug.

If you want to see how dirt in this area can cause misfire take a graphite pencil and draw a line the length of the spark plug ceramic

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 18 May 2018 08:02 by JR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, aenikolopov

More
18 May 2018 15:15 #783618 by ayeckley
Replied by ayeckley on topic help diagnosing misfiring cylinder

aenikolopov wrote: I should add - adjusting the air screw all the way in and all the way out has no effect.

I agree with the other guys. That's potentially the smoking gun.

1976 KZ900A4
1976 KZ900A4
1978 KZ1000A2
1983 ZX750 A1 aka GPz 750
1983 ZX750 A1
1973 CL350K4
1984 ZX1100 A2 aka GPz1100
1969 CT90
2006 Burgman 400

More
19 May 2018 17:13 #783691 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic help diagnosing misfiring cylinder

SWest wrote: My bet would be a clogged #4 pilot jet. I would also replace the spark plug caps.
Steve

Ding ding ding. Opened it up and the #4 pilot jet was completely clogged. Cleaned it out, and the cylinder fires!
I think I blew out half my Dyna S, but that's for another thread. Thanks everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest