Assembly lube / Valve Clearances

More
15 Apr 2018 12:41 #781860 by cg94
Assembly lube / Valve Clearances was created by cg94
Hi everyone,

I have a 1978 Kz650 SR that I recently got my head back after having a valve job done. I bench shimmed it and it is now assembled with the cams in, but when I retook the measurements it looks like a lot of my clearances are too tight. I used a 50/50 mix of STP and engine oil as an assembly lube. Would the thickness of this mixture effect my readings drastically and cause them to appear tighter than they are? Or was the error in my calculations when I purchased the shims?

thanks!

1978 KZ 650 SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2018 12:54 #781861 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Assembly lube / Valve Clearances
Bench shimming the head is ok to get in the ball park but once fully assembled and everything is bolted down and settled they nearly always need further adjustment.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
15 Apr 2018 13:41 #781865 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Assembly lube / Valve Clearances
When a valve job is done the valves sink deeper into the head and the clearance closes up. Hopefully your machinist tipped a few thousands off the valve ends to compensate or you will find there is a large shift in the shim range toward the low side.

More
15 Apr 2018 14:00 #781867 by cg94
Replied by cg94 on topic Assembly lube / Valve Clearances
I'll go ahead and double check my measurements and order the appropriate shims tonight.

The valve job was done well and all the stems were tipped in addition to having new springs and retainers in as well as guides. My number 3 valve could only be tipped so much and is still not within spec, and many of the valves are still low in the shim range despite being tipped. Will I eventually need to replace the seats to restore the valves to a healthy shim range?

1978 KZ 650 SR

More
15 Apr 2018 14:31 #781868 by zed1015

cg94 wrote: The valve job was done well and all the stems were tipped in addition to having new springs and retainers in as well as guides. My number 3 valve could only be tipped so much and is still not within spec, and many of the valves are still low in the shim range despite being tipped. Will I eventually need to replace the seats to restore the valves to a healthy shim range?

Going by the book you should try a new stock valve first to see if that gets you back in the range with plenty of shim.
If not then fitting bigger valves (1mm os etc ) will put the valve seating area further out on the unworn part of the seats and should solve the problem ( this is the most common reason these engines get bigger valves and not for performance gains ).
Only after all that fails would you replace the seats.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

More
16 Apr 2018 11:02 #781903 by cg94
Replied by cg94 on topic Assembly lube / Valve Clearances
thanks for the info! Does adding larger valves require any other steps? Wouldn't they sit further out and risk hitting the pistons?

1978 KZ 650 SR

More
16 Apr 2018 11:27 #781904 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Assembly lube / Valve Clearances
Surprised things changed so much after bench shimming...... mine stayed almost exactly maybe only a couple a half a thousands diff...... did em all on the loose side.....did have the head skimmed 4 or 5 thousands though so maybe that helped. Ape did a good job on tipping the valves too as they are all very near the center.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
16 Apr 2018 13:53 #781911 by zed1015

cg94 wrote: thanks for the info! Does adding larger valves require any other steps? Wouldn't they sit further out and risk hitting the pistons?

Larger valves will sit at the same height as stock, they just use the wider lesser worn part of the seat .
The valves seats still need cutting and the stem height setting.
The larger heads will mask the ports slightly and the throats are usually enlarged to compensate but you probably wouldn't notice in a stock motor.