oil from case breather

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Mar 2018 21:41 #780430 by gixxerkidd03
oil from case breather was created by gixxerkidd03
im sure this has been beat to death but besides oil level being to high, what could cause oil to come from the crankcase breather? what sort of engine problem would cause this? im running pods with a case breather as well. i took it for the first ride after sitting for a few months and notice it coming down my clutch cover. .should i run a catch can?

1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Mar 2018 21:45 #780431 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic oil from case breather
Blow by from bad or stuck rings or old and crusty valve guide seals.
Steve

More
19 Mar 2018 02:46 - 19 Mar 2018 02:47 #780435 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic oil from case breather
It's is normal.
I presume you have fitted a small pod type filter directly to the top your breather cap.
Oil mist is always blown out of the breather but it usually gets caught by the tube to the airbox , most drains back down and a minute amount gets drawn up and burnt by the engine.
A low level filter will always catch the oil mist and become saturated and then the oil runs out.
You need to elevate the breather by fitting a long tube with the filter on the end.
The higher the better to give time for the oil droplets to fall out of the pumped air.
I route mine up under the tank or seat but you will always get a slight residue out of the end eventually.
The higher up the filter is, the longer it takes.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 19 Mar 2018 02:47 by zed1015.

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2018 21:14 #780490 by gixxerkidd03
Replied by gixxerkidd03 on topic oil from case breather
thanks guys . i've been running a pod filter on it for a few summers now and never had the issue. i cleaned it up and ran it around town today with no problem i'm thinking the condensation from sitting the winter.

1981 KZ750e

More
20 Mar 2018 07:55 #780500 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic oil from case breather
Pod filters pass a lot of dirt so maybe your cylinders and rings are getting worn out which is increasing blow by? As Steve mentions, maybe the valve stem seals are getting hard too. Race bikes require using a catch container for any oil that may get blown out the breather. Personally, I'd rig something up other than just a filter alone so any accumulated liquid has some place to go.