kz650h1 CSR no spark.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2018 15:29 #779843 by agrestixrock
kz650h1 CSR no spark. was created by agrestixrock
i have another topic going but it is not getting and more replies. i had this bike running for about 10 minutes after cleaning the carbs, putting in new gas, new oil, etc. i bought a new battery for it and had great spark. when i finally got it running, i gave it some throttle and it killed the engine because the carbs are all off. i tried to start it again but the battery didnt have enough power, i came out the next day with a fully charged battery to no spark. first i suspected coils and they seemed okay when i ohmed them. then i checked fuses, all were okay but i still put in new ones. then i went through all components and all the tests i could find made everything seem like its in working order. then i took the harness off the bike and rang out every wire and couldnt find anything wrong. checked the ignition pick ups and they are to spec. finally i came back to maybe i messed up checking my coils so i had my local motorcycle shop test one since i get the same reading through every one. it had great spark. i talked to the guy who knows KZ's really well and he said to check kill switch which is working, then he said to check the voltage coming from the positive wires from igniter. i was getting about 10.5v with the battery i bought not even a year ago. i checked the voltage on the battery after charging and it dropped from 12.7 to 12.5v in 10 minutes with no load then down to 12.3v while i was at work. so i figured the new battery just didnt have enough power. so i went and got another one. on its first charge at about 12.8v i tried it and still have nothing. i didnt have my meter with me at this time but the starter motor still sounded sluggish. i went out again with it at about 12.7v and was getting about 11.2v to the positive leads of the coils. still no spark with new plugs and a tested coil. it seems like there is something drawing power the second i connect the battery but no switches are on. (there is no brake light or turn signals as previous owner chopped them all off) i have everything connected as i did when it fired but the onlything i dont know what it is is a ground strap with a connector pin on the end. i have looked through the wiring diagram and do not see anything that should be grounded that isnt. however i did notice that there is one spot that is labeled "Electronic Accessory Leads" towards the bottom right of the diagram which comes from the positive battery terminal, through 2 10A fuses and splits into a white/blue wire and white/black wire on either side of the fuses (one for each fuse) the white/blue wire is connected going to the front but the white/black wire is just blank. but looking at the diagram, it says it goes to the positive side of the electronic accessory leads not ground. i am very frustrated with this bike as it simply worked then didnt overnight without changing anything. i dont really have the money to take it to a shop for this issue. I do want to point out that there isnt a key switch it was "hotwired" with an on off switch. i do have the title so no its not stolen lol. please help, i dont want to give up on this bike but dont know what else to try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Mar 2018 20:57 #779852 by SWest

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2018 21:00 #779853 by agrestixrock
Replied by agrestixrock on topic kz650h1 CSR no spark.
Pics of what exactly? I'll get some tomorrow

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Mar 2018 21:12 #779855 by SWest

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2018 14:45 - 07 Mar 2018 14:47 #779877 by agrestixrock
will try to get some more pictures with a better device. my phone is too old to send the pics to my email to post on here and my tablet is weird with its camera. but i did contact the motorcycle shop again and they told me i needed 2 main grounds, one to the engine block which i have and one to the chassis which i do not have and is what im expecting is where the ground connector came from. i was looking at the diagram and there is one thing that is making me confused. at the left side of the diagram where the ground wire connects to the turn signals (ground is black/yellow) it splits into two black wires. one to each turn signal but on the diagram there is an empty circle where the wires come off the lights, does this indicate a chassis ground?
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 14:47 by agrestixrock.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2018 16:23 #779880 by agrestixrock
okay so i tried again today. fully charged battery 12.8v only a few days old. the second i hook it up to the harness im only getting 12.3v even using my truck battery as a back up im at 12.4v (no it is not hooked to the truck). i have no idea what is going on with this bike. all connections seem good besides this grounding strap i have. i hooked it up to the black/yellow connector for the turn signals and grounded it to the frame as a back up. it did ring out without it but i did it as a precaution. i tried the bright headlight test someone recommended and it had almost no difference as it was about 12v across the battery with it on bright and 12.2 without it. i have no idea what causes this voltage drop. im almost to the point where i pull the whole harness off again. or just to sell it. this just makes no sense. what would cause a battery to drop about .5v without doing anything?