kick Only! kz750 twin

More
19 Feb 2018 06:28 #778989 by kzswe
kick Only! kz750 twin was created by kzswe
Like the topic sugest, im goin kick only.

I have alredy removed the electrics but now for the starter.

Is it possible to remove the starter engine without messing with the starter clutch and generator housing?
Ive been in there twice to repair the starter clutch would rather stay outa there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2018 10:32 #778999 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kick Only! kz750 twin
I think you have to pull the cover. Maybe someone knows a way to get the starter chain out, but seems easier to just pull the cover.

If you remove the starter clutch, (if it's possible to run without it) you will lighten the crank. This might make it rev a little quicker. But it might make it kickback harder when starting too, so it's up to you. That's already going to be a tough bike to kick start.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
19 Feb 2018 14:53 #779012 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic kick Only! kz750 twin
Yeah the starter chain and sprocket fall out when you pull the starter motor. You might be able to fish them out but it would be tricky. I'm going the other way, and putting the starter back in. It's tough to kickstart the 750twin and has straight bucked me before.that is fine if you're you're doing an initial start up but having stalled a bike in traffic without a starter it's super annoying in that scenario.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
19 Feb 2018 15:27 - 19 Feb 2018 15:33 #779013 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic kick Only! kz750 twin
You will want to pull the side case and remove the chain and starter gear.
The large clutch gear can stay (no need to pull the starter clutch either, it will all rotate as one assembly).
If you just pull the starter, the starter gear and chain will drop into the bottom of the case and wedge against the clutch gear.

Normally the starter gear is stationary while the crank rotates forward while running.
If it ever wedges the starter rollers against the starter clutch the engine will lock up. Not a fun ride.
Your ride, your life, your choice.
You will also want to plug the starter hole. Lots of oil flying around in this cavity when running.
Good Luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2018 15:33 by Rainman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
20 Feb 2018 18:39 #779080 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kick Only! kz750 twin
When you pull the rotor and starter gear off the crank, if you look real close at the crank where it was formerly covered by the starter gear you will see a small hole.
That hole leads directly to the crank oil galley. If you don't put the starter gear back on there you ill need to make some sort of spacer to cover that hole. Or lose oil pressure.

The KZ twins turn backward compared to the fours.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx