1075 Big Bore Kit

More
15 Jan 2018 20:07 #777317 by Zachgrove1
1075 Big Bore Kit was created by Zachgrove1
Thinking about stepping up to an MTC 1075 big bore kit on my stock '81 KZ 1000 LTD K1 with the 998cc power plant.

I wanted to check in and see if anyone has made the mod, and if I were to do so, what else would you upgrade when the engine is torn down? When I picked up the bike the odometer said 22,000 miles.

Should I replace the cam chain as well, or would a master link and an aftermarket cam chain tensioner do the job? Should I upgrade to new heavy duty cylinder studs?

Any input would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2018 14:47 #777403 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic 1075 Big Bore Kit
True / Weld Crank.
Back cut Trans,
Rebuild Clutch Hub.
New HD Cam Chain.
New Cam Chain Rollers.
VJ Cyl Head.
HD Valve Springs.

It add up quick to do them correct remember they are 30+ years old.

1984 750 Turbo

More
18 Jan 2018 21:03 #777415 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 1075 Big Bore Kit
This is a very common modification, and there are a bunch of 1075 build threads on this site.
Concerning the response above, I'd say the back cut trans is optional for a street bike unless the engagement dogs are pretty worn. You can skip the cam chain rollers as the 998 doesn't have them. I am pretty sure there is no master link option for the HyVo chain in the 998.

If you want to get the full potential of the 1075, you will also need cams, an aftermarket exhaust system, bigger carbs, and a properly ported head.
Before getting into all this, you will need a very clear, honest goal of how you intend to ride it. Then, with some experienced help, you can choose the parts and get the porting that will achieve your goal. Mismatched parts, or an engine built to an unrealistic goal, will get you a motorcycle you will not enjoy riding.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
19 Jan 2018 11:23 #777433 by Zachgrove1
Replied by Zachgrove1 on topic 1075 Big Bore Kit
Thanks for the response gentlemen,

I'd just be looking for a bike to ride around on the street, and I'd like to build something cool. I think anything more powerful than the stock configuration would be my goal I've always thought it'd be a cool challenge to rebuild an engine - figured the top end on a KZ 1000 would be a good first project.

More
19 Jan 2018 12:59 #777436 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic 1075 Big Bore Kit
22k Miles is low for these engines so it should be in good condition and the HYVO cam chain is into less than half its lifetime.
Unless you are going to give it serious abuse the 1075's will work well just as an overbore and the higher comp will give it a nice tweak without needing to weld the crank or do anything else.
HD studs are not really needed on anything other than serious power motors and most get fitted because they are cheaper than oem .
The hyvo camchain is available in soft link but i have seen quite a few of these fail so when the time eventually comes to replace that i would split the motor fit a continuous one.
Of course if you do decide to do a crank up build the it's a no brainer to replace the chain at the same time.
If you are just sticking to simple top end work then try to get hold of some 83 GPZ A unitrack cams.
These are drop in, will complement the MTC's and will work safely with your engines shim over bucket configuration.
It's all down to your budget and intended use.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-