What do you think of this valve job?

More
10 Jan 2018 13:23 #777160 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What do you think of this valve job?
Go there and see John. I've gone there two times and he did my valves on the spot for cheap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chikosneff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2018 13:38 #777161 by chikosneff
Replied by chikosneff on topic What do you think of this valve job?

Nessism wrote: Go there and see John. I've gone there two times and he did my valves on the spot for cheap.

Thanks! I still think I will test them out first as I really wanted to do this overhaul all by myself (I know it may sound dumb but it's important to me :D ). But this is definitely a precious contact to have for the future. Can I ask how much they charged you? You did both valves and valve seats?
Thanks

1978 KZ400 B

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Jan 2018 14:20 #777163 by SWest

More
10 Jan 2018 14:39 #777164 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What do you think of this valve job?

chikosneff wrote:

Nessism wrote: Go there and see John. I've gone there two times and he did my valves on the spot for cheap.

Thanks! I still think I will test them out first as I really wanted to do this overhaul all by myself (I know it may sound dumb but it's important to me :D ). But this is definitely a precious contact to have for the future. Can I ask how much they charged you? You did both valves and valve seats?
Thanks

The ridges formed on the valves because you lapped them too hard and too long. Lapping is only intended to clean off a little light carbon/rust and allow you to see the valve to seat contact pattern. It seems you lapped aggressively which is not ideal.

If you don't want to pay someone to fix those valves I'd replace them then. Even if they held pressure for now that's no gurantee they will hold up long term.

I can't remember how much John charged me to do the valves but it was very reasonable. I did the seats myself using neeway cutters. See my rebuild thread for more details.