What do you think of this valve job?

More
08 Jan 2018 17:12 #777084 by chikosneff
What do you think of this valve job? was created by chikosneff
Dear KZriders, I am restoring my 1978 KZ400B and I just finished refreshing the top end with new piston rings and a valve job. Everything was heavily coated with carbon and it took me a lot of effort to clean it up. As this is my first time lapping valves I would like you to take a look at the end result. I did it by hand using fine abrasive paste. I lapped every valve for around 10-15 minutes or whatever it took for the paste noise to become quiet enough.
I am attaching images for each valve and seat let me know what you think!
Thank you.

1978 KZ400 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2018 19:29 #777089 by JOE MKII
Replied by JOE MKII on topic What do you think of this valve job?
Never tried to do a valve job myself so kudos for going for it !!!
Did you see if they leak by using a bit of gas down the ports and looking closely fir seeping?
I think there’s a spec’ed width for the contact area , did you measure the contact patch?
I’ll be watching to see what the experts say!

I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"
The following user(s) said Thank You: chikosneff

More
08 Jan 2018 19:53 #777090 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What do you think of this valve job?
As long as the seat width isn't out of spec and you didn't wear a groove in the valve it should be fine. Personally, I like to find a local machine shop use a centerless grinder on the valves to renew them. It only costs about $4 each so it's worth it.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Jan 2018 20:17 #777091 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What do you think of this valve job?
How much rock is there in the guides using the valves? Looks to me the seat print on the valves are wider than the seats in the head. The ones on the head look good.
Steve

More
09 Jan 2018 15:34 #777122 by chikosneff
Replied by chikosneff on topic What do you think of this valve job?

Nessism wrote: As long as the seat width isn't out of spec and you didn't wear a groove in the valve it should be fine. Personally, I like to find a local machine shop use a centerless grinder on the valves to renew them. It only costs about $4 each so it's worth it.

The intake valves seats are slightly out of spec at 1.08 - 1.15 mm, service limit is 1 mm.
I did not know that resurfacing at a shop would be that cheap thanks for the info, but I really enjoy the satisfaction of doing everything by myself so I'd take my chances and test them out.

1978 KZ400 B

More
09 Jan 2018 15:41 #777123 by chikosneff

SWest wrote: How much rock is there in the guides using the valves? Looks to me the seat print on the valves are wider than the seats in the head. The ones on the head look good.
Steve

They match the seat perfectly, but they look wider because in the picture you can see that the new freshly lapped seat is slightly offset from the old one making it look wider. I can't feel any slack between the valve stem and the guide but I don't have a bore gauge to measure it accurately, valve stems are in spec and look pristine.
My only concern is that I can see rings cut on the valve surface by the lapping compound, these are not grooves as you cannot feel them with your fingernail but ideally, I know I would like this surface to be completely smooth and dull, right? I am using fine compound, I wonder if I should look for a finer one.

1978 KZ400 B

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jan 2018 16:01 #777125 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What do you think of this valve job?
Sounds good. I'd put it together and RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. :woohoo:
Steve

More
09 Jan 2018 19:32 #777132 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic What do you think of this valve job?
Don’t go crazy with this. Keep in mind that the reason margin dimensions are given are to insure a proper and tight valve to seat seal ... based on the spring pressure vs the total square area of the valve to seat surface area. In other words, pretty and wide “grey” is not ideal for super tight sealing. While skinny will seal tight for a while but wear faster and can cause exhaust valve overheating.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
10 Jan 2018 10:14 #777152 by chikosneff

missionkz wrote: Don’t go crazy with this. Keep in mind that the reason margin dimensions are given are to insure a proper and tight valve to seat seal ... based on the spring pressure vs the total square area of the valve to seat surface area. In other words, pretty and wide “grey” is not ideal for super tight sealing. While skinny will seal tight for a while but wear faster and can cause exhaust valve overheating.

got it thank you!. I did not make then any wider but, unfortunately, the intake seats were already slightly out of spec, I believe it will still be OK for now. Next time I will have the seats re-cut and I'll pop new valves in. My only dissatisfaction with this first time lapping experience is that I can see "rings" on the intake valves' lapped surface whereas I believe it should look completely dull and smooth. I am not sure how to correct this maybe I have bought a low-quality compound that does not breakdown correctly in finer and finer grit as I lap the valve.

1978 KZ400 B

More
10 Jan 2018 10:18 #777153 by chikosneff
Here is what I am talking about. If you run your fingernail over it you cannot feel any groove but I believe that's not how the valve surface should look after lapping. If anybody knows how to correct this I'd be happy to learn.

1978 KZ400 B
Attachments:

More
10 Jan 2018 11:56 - 10 Jan 2018 11:57 #777157 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What do you think of this valve job?
Look for someone with a centerless valve grinder. Good chance those valves will clean up like new.

Last edit: 10 Jan 2018 11:57 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chikosneff

More
10 Jan 2018 12:20 #777158 by chikosneff

Nessism wrote: Look for someone with a centerless valve grinder. Good chance those valves will clean up like new.

Funny this video is made by the shop down the street :D

1978 KZ400 B