CRANK CASE BREATHER SMOKE

More
10 Oct 2017 15:39 - 10 Oct 2017 15:40 #772667 by Smallzphoto
CRANK CASE BREATHER SMOKE was created by Smallzphoto
Hey!
I have whiteish smoke coming out of my breather tube on my 1982 kz440 ltd.
It looks white to me but maybe its light blue? Im having a hard time telling. Theres a video attached.

Ive read conflicting ideas on the interwebs about whether its condensation or oil burning etc.

Here are some facts to help me figure out what might be the problem.

The bike had pods when I got it, I fabbed up an airbox but the breather is still just a loose tube flopping around under the gas tank. No filter on it.

I picked up the bike recently and got it running after sitting for 3 years.
When I changed the oil the first time it reeeeked of turpentine. (maybe gas?)

The bike blew white smoke out of the tail pipes for the first few times i started and let it run for a few mins here and there while ive been getting it going. It stopped that after a while and while it wasn't smoking, the exhaust was very strong smelling.

It has a slight weep of oil around the head gasket that only appears when the engine is warm. (maybe just loose head nuts?)

Today was the first real ride ive ever taken on it. Maybe about 15 miles or so. The smoke only started after the bike was well warmed up and steadily got worse until I got home.

It only smokes form the breather when the bike is running,

There is only 20 miles on the bike since the oil change but, to me, the oil looks a little opaque. There is a photo attached of the oil through the window. There is an appropriate amount of oil. its not over filled.
Maybe there was left over crappy oil still in there after my first oil change? I was surprised initially that it DID NOT take the full amount of recommended oil when I did it. Could there have been some of the old crap hidden in there somewhere?

Any other thoughts as to why I might be getting the smoke?

BTW...... I let the bike sit for about 20 mins when I got home and then went back and started her up for a minute to see if it was still smoking bad. The smoke was barely noticeable. It seems as if it only smokes when at operating temp.

Thanks in advance y'all!!! You guys are always so helpful!!!!!

Attachments:

IMG_4311.mov

Last edit: 10 Oct 2017 15:40 by Smallzphoto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2017 15:49 #772668 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic CRANK CASE BREATHER SMOKE
I'd ether run a tube up then down to the chain or install a fitting for the airbox. That filter may be too small for the bike. Oil looks normal and it should clean up after the next oil change. If the valve guide seals are old and hard, they will let hot exhaust gasses enter the head/crankcase.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smallzphoto

More
10 Oct 2017 15:57 #772670 by Smallzphoto
Replied by Smallzphoto on topic CRANK CASE BREATHER SMOKE
Hey Steve!
My bike is a belt drive so running a tube down there is prob not a good idea haha since the crank tube is also spitting out oil. I should have specified it was a belt drive though in my first post.
The filter is the same as another user who, a while back, created the airbox design that Im using now. The original factory airbox was impossible to find but this one seems to be working great :)

Would running a fitting into the airbox behind the filter be bad?

Does the smoke in my video look like the product of bad valve seals?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2017 16:19 #772673 by SWest
The vent tube should be before the filter. Could be valve guide seals or rings just seating in again. Unless you're fouling plugs I'd just RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT and enjoy.:woohoo:
Steve

More
10 Oct 2017 16:26 #772676 by Smallzphoto
Hahaha. Ok will do!
I was just worried Id break something by riding it when its smokey....

More
10 Oct 2017 17:30 - 10 Oct 2017 17:31 #772682 by Smallzphoto
Just checked the plugs...
The right side looks normal but the left side has developed a bit of oily blackness around the base. It was clean yesterday and there have only been 15 miles driven on it today.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Oct 2017 17:31 by Smallzphoto.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2017 17:41 #772683 by SWest
Looks like valve guide seal. It might clean up as you run it. Might be time to gather gaskets etc. to change them in the future.
Steve

More
10 Oct 2017 18:04 #772684 by Smallzphoto
How involved is replacing just the valve seal vs. replacing the whole valve? The manual makes removing the valve seem like a gauge undertaking with special tools etc. If replacing the just seal is easier I'd love to know the tricks to do it haha.

On the other hand I saw a guy on youtube replace his valve seals with a $50 valve seal tool that uses a magnet to grab the valve stays. Seemed to go really quick for him but it was on a different bike.

I might have to replace my head gasket as well. is that easy to do once the top is off for the valves etc?
I know its below the head but i was wondering if you need to completely disassemble the head to remove it or of it comes off as one piece to do the head gasket.

I have alot of questions hahaha. You rule, thx for the info in advance!

More
12 Oct 2017 16:24 #772810 by Smallzphoto
I went ahead and installed a longer and fresher breather hose and ran it down behind the carbs down to under the swing arm where it can spit whatever it wants down onto the road.
Just rode it for another 40 miles today and it seems to not be smoking as much anymore. Still oily though.

I have a valve seal and gasket kit coming so I just need a free weekend to get into that :)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Oct 2017 16:34 #772815 by SWest
I'd run it to the airbox to evacuate the crankcase and head. I wouldn't want that crap on my tire.
Steve

More
12 Oct 2017 16:58 #772820 by Smallzphoto
Without a factory airbox I really don't have any other place to run it.

My fabbed airbox has the filter on the outside.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Oct 2017 17:02 #772823 by SWest
My breather goes in before the filter on the carb side. I don't care about emissions but I don't like the smell and it helps the engine run cooler. That is unless it's puking oil and smoke.
Steve