overhaul engine top

More
27 Sep 2017 16:28 - 28 Sep 2017 16:54 #771896 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic overhaul engine top
IMO, if you are going to pull the head to do valve work, you may as well do the cylinder honing, new rings and base gasket too. Maybe paint it all up too since it is off. Clean the carbs, set the float levels and paint the exhaust.....replace the intake manifolds.....

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
Last edit: 28 Sep 2017 16:54 by azman857.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Sep 2017 02:14 #771913 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic overhaul engine top
Thank you all,

The only problem with the engine right now, is oil leaking out from the sides, I have understand these is properly because of old o-rings in the oil channel between the block and the top. So I need to replace the o-rings and the top gasket.

So what is the change for I`m making moe leaks doing these work? 50% ? or ?

I have cleaned the carbs last year, so the plan is to clean and repaint the engine yes :) looking forward to it.

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 Sep 2017 07:35 #771927 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic overhaul engine top

gordone wrote: Thank you all,

The only problem with the engine right now, is oil leaking out from the sides, I have understand these is properly because of old o-rings in the oil channel between the block and the top. So I need to replace the o-rings and the top gasket.

So what is the change for I`m making moe leaks doing these work? 50% ? or ?

I have cleaned the carbs last year, so the plan is to clean and repaint the engine yes :) looking forward to it.

If you take your time and follow the manual , Use quality parts. along with some tips from our membership
the chances of success are very good
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Sep 2017 08:05 - 28 Sep 2017 08:06 #771930 by gordone
I understand will read the service manual in details, I will think the problem start if the block is been moved clock wise or anti clockwise, as longs as I don`t move it I shall have a good changes?

Loosing the pressure it self from removing the top is not enough to make leaks?

Project:
Last edit: 28 Sep 2017 08:06 by gordone.

More
28 Sep 2017 17:31 #771951 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic overhaul engine top
Taking the head nuts off? No. Taking the head off? Unless you have a friend holding the cylinder block down and/or have the cylinder block strapped down with nylon tie downs I would almost guarantee your base gasket will leak. Even with not turning the crankshaft. Besides, when the head comes off or cleaning the old head gasket material off, debris will fall in the bores. All it takes is one hard chunk to ruin a top end. If a chunk falls in the case , it can be flushed out. Take care. I'm looking at the same thing for different reasons on my 750 GPz engine. I'm reviving mine from being stored outside for who knows for how long and what is in the intakes and exhausts. Renew the valve seals too.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Sep 2017 10:05 #771984 by gordone
When it comes to the top, grinding the valves, can I one my self or ? changing the sealing shall be possible to my self?
So there shall not be any reson to deliver the top into a workshop for overhaul?

If I`m correct, its only the block I need to deliver in.

Project:

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
29 Sep 2017 10:14 #771985 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic overhaul engine top
No reason why all the work cant all be done by you with the proper tools and
guidance from here on KZRider and a factory manual
Its all in your hands as to what you think you want to tackle as a project.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
30 Sep 2017 08:22 - 30 Sep 2017 08:22 #772033 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic overhaul engine top

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

gordone wrote: Thank you for all information !

I have one more questions right now, what is the chance the base gasket under the block will start leak If I only replace the top gasket and the o-rings (oil channel) in the top?

Chance of a leak at base gasket is 50/50 based on your ability to not disturb seal and fit between cases and block.
Dave

I'd say the chances of a base gasket leak is even higher than that, Dave. I just went through this last month (I'm still in therapy). I had the usual o-ring leak.. but you can pretty much forget removing the head on any bike, and not disturbing that old, brittle base gasket.. so in effect even if you do manage to fix the head leak, you will just be relocating it to a new and much improved location. :-)

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Sep 2017 08:22 by old_kaw.