81 Kawasaki Kz1000K1 head oil leak repair. part 2

More
25 Sep 2017 07:38 #771645 by daveo
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI can understand if you are desperate and pressed for time, but here's a couple ideas to consider if not...

If there's one in my part stash $15 shipped.
That would be two...brand new OEM and cheap!

PM if interested.

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2017 09:07 #771653 by old_kaw
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

daveo wrote: I can understand if you are desperate and pressed for time, but here's a couple ideas to consider if not...

If there's one in my part stash $15 shipped.
That would be two...brand new OEM and cheap!

PM if interested.

Thanks for the offer Dave! At this point I don't plan on pulling that head again for a while.
Last month, I think I had a eBay delivery at least 1 every day, and to tell ya the truth, at this point I am sick of buying stuff CONSTANTLY. I'd need to go back through the pay-pal emails to try to add all these parts and pieces up. $103 for the rings, 16 bucks for 4 copper coated flat washers, 15 bucks for 4 OEM wrist pin cir-clips, etc, etc.. I know it's nowhere near what others pay for the same stuff... but i'm just frazzled with the constant barrage of little parts purchases. That does not include the sealers, stripper, paints, etc.. I'm done. It's together and running. I need a break AND therapy.. lol :-)

These cost me almost 60 bucks, and finding the OEM part was not a easy thing.

Here is the block cleaned up with just copper anti seize compound on the studs. I also put a drop of 30 wt ND oil in the head nuts and also oil the washers, so the anti seize is not the only lubricant on the head fasteners.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

More
25 Sep 2017 13:03 #771667 by kevski

old_kaw wrote: Anyway.. I wanted to update everyone what was up with my bike.. Especially after all the help everyone here is / was in locating parts and assembly advice. (although I am hard headed at times) I didn't want to show up begging for help, then disappear like new members often do

This really is a great resource for us old bike enthusiasts, with some straight up great people helping.... To name ONLY a few, but not limited to.. swest, daveo, 650ed.. You guys are the BEST!

Are you speeding there by chance or is that a private roadhttps://www.kzrider.com/media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png

More
25 Sep 2017 13:51 #771670 by daveo

kevski wrote:

old_kaw wrote: Anyway.. I wanted to update everyone what was up with my bike.. Especially after all the help everyone here is / was in locating parts and assembly advice. (although I am hard headed at times) I didn't want to show up begging for help, then disappear like new members often do

This really is a great resource for us old bike enthusiasts, with some straight up great people helping.... To name ONLY a few, but not limited to.. swest, daveo, 650ed.. You guys are the BEST!

Are you speeding there by chance or is that a private roadhttps://www.kzrider.com/media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png

In addition to what kevski asked, what gear was it in when the pic was taken?

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
25 Sep 2017 14:21 #771672 by old_kaw

kevski wrote:

old_kaw wrote:

Of course NOT! Speeding is illegal. I always figured 85 kph was just A-ok. :-)

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

More
25 Sep 2017 14:24 - 25 Sep 2017 14:29 #771673 by old_kaw

daveo wrote:

kevski wrote:

old_kaw wrote:

In addition to what kevski asked, what gear was it in when the pic was taken?

That would be 5th gear, with the speed dropping off like a rock, as I struggle to maintain a grip on my not-so-smart phone. I do have the old school cruise control, but like anything else, it's not infallible.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 14:29 by old_kaw.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Sep 2017 14:26 #771674 by SWest

More
25 Sep 2017 15:48 - 25 Sep 2017 16:03 #771679 by daveo
Had an 85, but I like this speedo better...B)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 16:03 by daveo.

More
25 Sep 2017 23:19 - 26 Sep 2017 10:06 #771699 by old_kaw

daveo wrote: Had an 85, but I like this speedo better...B)

WOW, that is freakin NICE! I don't care for the 85, but it's what came on it. The speedo and tach are both electronic. The tach is kinda flakey around 3K, (jumpy) and I am about to wear the pointer stop off of the speedo. :-)
With most, there is always someone reproducing these restoration parts.. I assume not for cheap.. My silkscreen lettering is worn off of the gauges, not nice and pristine like yours. And I consider my bike in pretty good condition for its age.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Sep 2017 10:06 by Street Fighter LTD.

More
26 Sep 2017 03:12 #771703 by daveo
That 160 gauge was an incredibly fortunate find. I still consider it the perfect icing on the cake project for my bike. :)
Never even new they existed, except for some long-forgotten fairy-tale I dreamed of years ago.
Complement appreciated.

BTW, your gauges look great. The tach-bounce might be just be a loose wiring connection under the gas tank. It doesn't hurt to wiggle the wires once in a while.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
26 Sep 2017 06:10 #771711 by old_kaw

daveo wrote: That 160 gauge was an incredibly fortunate find. I still consider it the perfect icing on the cake project for my bike. :)
Never even new they existed, except for some long-forgotten fairy-tale I dreamed of years ago.
Complement appreciated.

BTW, your gauges look great. The tach-bounce might be just be a loose wiring connection under the gas tank. It doesn't hurt to wiggle the wires once in a while.

Nope.. the tach jumping is mechanical, and is internal to the instrument. WHen I first got this bike running in 2013 the tach wouldn't go over 2500-3K rpm. I took it off and short of mangling it in order to disassemble it, I found that I could get the the pointer to jump by blowing compressed air into the lighting holes in the back. It is also off a few hundred, but not bad.. as IF either of those gauges ever caused any of up to unwind that thing on the right. :-D

My bike was pretty sad when I got it.. From my understanding, it was an abandoned vehicle from Illinois, I bought it from a guy in House Springs Missouri.. Locks ALL punched and mangled, no title or paperwork of any kind, etc.. I had to apply to the Illinois Secretary of State, to get the registered owner contact info (It had a long expired Il tag), then sent out all the certified letters and notices required by MO, Once I had all the MO -abandoned vehicle paperwork in a folder, I made an appointment with MSHP troop F in Jefferson City.. I am a frequent flier with them, because I do bike rescues whenever I can..

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments: