KZ 750 Clutch Cable

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2017 06:31 #771210 by JWKZ750
KZ 750 Clutch Cable was created by JWKZ750
Im a little overwhelmed with my business and kids and cant spend time on this. My clutch cable is SUPER stiff, to the point where my hand is starting to hurt when I ride the bike. I have a spare. If I paid someone to put it on, how long would it take?

And If I could squeeze out some time, how long would it take ME to put it on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2017 06:36 #771211 by SWest

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2017 06:47 - 19 Sep 2017 07:00 #771214 by JWKZ750
Replied by JWKZ750 on topic KZ 750 Clutch Cable

SWest wrote: About 20 minutes.
Steve

LOL called a guy here in NYC and he said to replace a link in my chain (the chain is too long and I need to have the riveted master link taken out, a few chain links taken out, and a new link put on) and to replace the clutch cable would take 2-3 hours at $100 per hour

Could the clutch stiffness be down to something else? Maybe it just needs lube?
Last edit: 19 Sep 2017 07:00 by JWKZ750.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2017 07:04 #771218 by SWest

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2017 07:26 #771219 by JWKZ750

SWest wrote: I'd try that first. Sounds like a crook.
Steve

I just bought this nifty little thing:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2017 07:30 #771221 by SWest

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2017 08:01 #771224 by JWKZ750

SWest wrote: That'll work unless it's too bad.
Steve.

I have a spare. Brand new motion pro.

More
19 Sep 2017 08:29 - 19 Sep 2017 15:45 #771227 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ 750 Clutch Cable
Remember your speedo cable? Nothing is easy on a vintage motorcycle & it can be a nuisance for a cycle shop to work on it. Although the cable may need to be lubricated, this probably won't solve the stiffness problem. I would try a basic cable adjustment first & maybe a basic clutch adjustment. Measure & compare the old cable to the new, including the amount of slack or end-to-end movement.

If you replace the cable, you're going to find a big chain sling mess behind the engine/sprocket cover. I prefer to clean up most of that and thoroughly clean & lubricate the clutch release mechanism. clean the end of the clutch pushrod. This is also a good time to clean up the neutral switch electrical connector as it can become glitchy --- you may need to crimp the flag connector for a tight fit.

I use a small funnel & several pieces of clear tubing shoved together to lubricate cables. using coat hangers, I hang the setup from the eaves. kinda red-necky, but it works.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2017 15:45 by martin_csr.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2017 08:33 #771229 by JWKZ750

martin_csr wrote: Remember your speedo cable? Nothing is easy on a vintage motorcycle & it can be a nuisance for a cycle shop to work on it. Although the cable may need to be lubricated, this probably won't solve the stiffness problem. I would try a basic cable adjustment first & maybe a basic clutch adjustment. Measure & compare the old cable to the new, including the amount of slack or end-to-end movement.

If you replace the cable, you're going to find a big chain sling mess behind engine/sprocket cover. I prefer to clean up most of that and thoroughly clean & lubricate the clutch release mechanism. and clean the end of the clutch pushrod. This is also a good time to clean up the neutral switch electrical connector as it can become glitchy --- you may need to crimp the flag connector for a tight fit.

I use a small funnel & several pieces of clear tubing shoved together to lubricate cables. using coat hangers, I hang the setup from the eaves. kinda red-necky, but it works.

Thanks. This is super helpful and I appreciate the time you took to post.

May I ask, what would "basic clutch adjustment" entail?

More
19 Sep 2017 08:41 - 20 Sep 2017 08:17 #771231 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ 750 Clutch Cable
clutch adjustment. see owner's manual maintenance section or the FSM. replace the little adjuster cover gasket if necessary.

When lubricating the clutch cable, be sure to lubricate the cable end at the lever. I use Permatex brake caliper grease in the little packets. clean the clutch lever beforehand, especially the cable end pocket. grit & dirt can cause the end to bind, so the wire strands fray & then the cable breaks. before installation, file off any burrs from the cable end. more common on aftermarket cables.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2017 08:17 by martin_csr.