Valve spring seat removal methods

More
29 Aug 2017 15:43 #769954 by Markovich
Valve spring seat removal methods was created by Markovich
Hi all, so I'm working on the head now. Going to replace seals, lap valves, clean it up and paint it. While taking it apart and after removing the springs and seals I noticed the spring seats. I was able to fairly easily remove five of them but the other three are being a pita. I used a couple of magnets to get the five off. Looking for some ideas on how to best remove the remaining ones. Thanks, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2017 16:53 #769959 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Valve spring seat removal methods
Why do you want to remove the seats, was there an issue with them?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Aug 2017 18:55 #769964 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Valve spring seat removal methods
Check the valve guides for excessive play. If OK leave them alone.
Steve

More
30 Aug 2017 00:01 - 30 Aug 2017 00:01 #769978 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Valve spring seat removal methods
They only sit loosely in the bottom of the bucket bore and should just lift out on the end of a magnet or drop out if you turn the head upside down.
Some times they stick a bit due to oil being underneath them and a bit of a squirt with petrol or WD should wash off the oil and release the suction.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 30 Aug 2017 00:01 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
30 Aug 2017 11:55 #770006 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Valve spring seat removal methods
Thanks for the info guys. I was cleaning things up so when I noticed some loose and others tight I figured they needed a bit of cleaning. I know a bit OCD of me. Once I removed the ones I could I found what looks like old hardened oil residue. I assume the heat baked it over time. Anyway, I'll get them out and then onward. ☺️

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.