Top engine reassembly, stud replacement

More
18 Jun 2017 04:09 #764653 by fullpepper
Top engine reassembly, stud replacement was created by fullpepper
Good day all, because of a leaky head gasket i striped the top engine (kz 1100). Now I am about to reassemble it with new seals-new gasket-new copper washer. when searching here I found some people say to replace the head engine bolt and their marching stud. But Why..... mine seems in great shape and I rely a lot on the service manual, witch doesn't say to replace them. Also so far I have not break or strip any bolt/nut on this old lady.

Any of you think it should be replace period.... or had any issues with the old hardware on reassembly? Any advice are welcome, I really don't want to miss some pertinent information before I put everything back together.

Valves are lapped, head was wrap a little but it is fixed now, everything else is within good tolerance. I believe it will be running strong again.

I can't wait to have it running again.
Good ride.

Kz 1100 a2 1982.
Looking to buy more z......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jun 2017 05:48 #764659 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: fullpepper

More
18 Jun 2017 06:17 #764660 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
If you are building a high performance engine, definitely replace them.

On a stock rebuild, the answer is maybe. If the engine has been apart multiple times, or if somebody constantly tightened the nuts to stop oil leaks, then it might be a good idea. The whole point of torquing the nuts is to create a certain amount of stretch in the studs. Picture some super strength rubber bands holding together all that constantly expanding, contracting, stretching aluminum. At some point in its life, each stud will reach its limit of stretch. This can lead to constant leakage, and under extreme stress, breakage.
On modern, high stress applications, some bolts are one use and done. For example, the rod big end bolts on the ZRX are never to be reused. On a stock rebuild of an engine that has not been abused, the factory studs are probably fine.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, bluezbike, fullpepper

More
18 Jun 2017 06:40 #764663 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
I replace stock type always I have had ones that look like new fail if you do not mind doing job a second time then reuse them but I will not.

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: fullpepper

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
18 Jun 2017 06:40 #764664 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
Hi fullpepper,
We're running the original studs on all of our Z-1's. Unless the 1100 motor is significantly different, and and as long as you're running a basically stock motor, with stock compression and a straight head, you should be fine.

If there's any rust showing on the unthreaded part of the studs, now is a good time to apply some high-temp aluminum paint. They'll look great.

The first time the motor is run up to full operating temperature, thermal expansion will cause a small change (increase) in effective clamping force of the head fasteners. This is normal. When it cools that first time, thermal contraction causes that clamping force to relax a little, Also normal.

After you get everything reassembled, run the motor up to full operating temp once. Let it cool overnight. Stone cold. Re-torque all the head fasteners to spec. You might be surprised how much less torque you find than that which you applied during initial assembly. Then, go ride for another 30 yrs. :)

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, fullpepper

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jun 2017 07:02 #764667 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
This next time I will be replacing them as well as the crank bolts.
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
18 Jun 2017 10:53 #764691 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
Stock motor you will probably be fine with reusing studs and nuts.
HD Studs and Nuts from APE are great and add to clamping power and are a good peace of mind item if you want to invest
in them . I run very high cylinder pressures being a High power turbo so every little trick I can do to hold the motor
together I am happy to invest in. Cheap insurance to prevent a failure or leak.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike, fullpepper

More
19 Jun 2017 18:36 #764819 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
I've got the APE stuff in my little motor for the money I see no reason not to run them.
kzzone.com/studs.html

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
27 Jun 2017 17:53 #765530 by fullpepper
Replied by fullpepper on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: Hi fullpepper,
We're running the original studs on all of our Z-1's. Unless the 1100 motor is significantly different, and and as long as you're running a basically stock motor, with stock compression and a straight head, you should be fine.

If there's any rust showing on the unthreaded part of the studs, now is a good time to apply some high-temp aluminum paint. They'll look great.

The first time the motor is run up to full operating temperature, thermal expansion will cause a small change (increase) in effective clamping force of the head fasteners. This is normal. When it cools that first time, thermal contraction causes that clamping force to relax a little, Also normal.

After you get everything reassembled, run the motor up to full operating temp once. Let it cool overnight. Stone cold. Re-torque all the head fasteners to spec. You might be surprised how much less torque you find than that which you applied during initial assembly. Then, go ride for another 30 yrs. :)

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

I was already thinking about that initial phenomenon. ..... heat expention/ contraction back to normal...... and retorqing all bolt. Thx for the nice advice. Thx to all also.

Kz 1100 a2 1982.
Looking to buy more z......

More
27 Jun 2017 19:14 #765539 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Top engine reassembly, stud replacement
If your engine is stock the stock studs are fine (unless damaged of course). When tightening the head nuts the stud elongates slightly but this is within the elastic limit of the material. Release the torque and the stud returns back to the original length. It's this stretch that keeps the nut from spinning off on it's own. Tighten too much and you will exceed the elastic limit and plastically deform the material - NOT good. That's why you shouldn't torque the stock nuts much higher than the stock limit.

The only reason to use HD studs is if you want to run big compression pressure. High compression engine, blower, etc. Since the HD studs are thicker they require more torque to reach the elastic zone and stretch. When using studs like this I think it's mandatory to torque higher than the stock level. Using high clamp loads can put more stress on your gaskets. The base gasket in particular my fail prematurely unless you use a high quality gasket. The head gaskets typically have metal inside them so they are less particular about the extra pressure.