Wet spark plug, firing issues (Z1000ST)

More
23 May 2017 03:11 - 23 May 2017 05:53 #762531 by irvin
Hi,
I'm not sure whether this problem belongs here on in the carburetor section, also english is not my native language so I may use the wrong technical terms but I'll try to be as precise as possible.

So, when I got my bike in august it was seating for years without running. Since the beginning I have recurring issues with cylinders 1 and 4, their spark plugs get fouled very often and/or the cylinder is simply not firing and the spark plug is wet with fuel, even if it's clean (i.e not sooted).

Here is what I did:
  • check compressions : almost the same on cylinders 1, 2 and 4, a bit higher on 3. I can't remember exactly but everything was within the specs range.
  • changed plugs: tried with NGK then with a bit hotter Bosch plugs, as I drive mainly in the city center I thought this might help but with no luck.
  • carbs cleaning and synchronizing => HUGE improvement after that but still not perfect, I checked the fuel level while I was working on the carbs and it was OK.
  • brand new Dynatek coils instead of the original ones => once again a big improvement when the motor is cold but the bike is still not reliable.
  • new made in japan high quality petcock, I'm a 100% sure this one is leak free and reliable.

Edit: valves have been adjusted too.

Before doing all that starting the bike was a nightmare and it was almost not rideable.After that the motor runs well, even when cold, and the cylinder 4 seems to be OK. However I still have issues with the cylinder 1 and I don't know what to do. Yesterday it was once again not firing at idle, I tried to ride for a few minutes and went back home, its exhaust pipe was barely warm and the spark plug was full of unburned fuel but not sooted. The problem does not come from ignition, I got enough electric shocks yesterday to know it was working, moreover cylinder 4 runned fine. The only unusual thing was that the bike was sitting on its side stand whereas I usually put it on the central stand when I'm home, however as I said above the petcock is not leaking.

I would be very grateful if you have any idea because I really don't know what to look at.

Thanks !
Last edit: 23 May 2017 05:53 by irvin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 May 2017 05:50 #762540 by SWest

More
23 May 2017 05:52 #762541 by irvin
Replied by irvin on topic Wet spark plug, firing issues (Z1000ST)
Yes I did that too, I forgot to say it.

More
23 May 2017 10:34 - 23 May 2017 10:38 #762566 by irvin
Do you think that an excessive leaning angle on the side stand could cause the leftmost carb to leak into the cylinder and drown it ?
I noticed today that my side stand has a huge fitting clearance, see below:

Depending on the stand position I measured a leaning angle from 13° up to 20°, I checked on another more modern bike and found 15°.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 10:38 by irvin.

More
23 May 2017 10:54 #762567 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Wet spark plug, firing issues (Z1000ST)
Why would you let the bike run while sitting on its side stand? I have not done that with my KZ650 and I've owned if for a bit over 40 years. Instead of guessing about the side stand simply put your bike on the center stand and see if the problem persists. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 May 2017 11:04 - 23 May 2017 11:06 #762568 by irvin
It was not running on its side stand, it was sitting on it for a dozen of hours and the problem occured after I started it again.I was then seated on the bike and it was horizontal.

I'd only like to know if an excessive leaning angle when the bike is parked is a realistic explanation for what happened and then what's the correct leaning angle when the bike is sitting on its side stand.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 11:06 by irvin.

More
25 May 2017 10:43 #762697 by irvin
Well, it was nothing more than yet another broken spark plug...