KZ900 Clutch issues

More
10 May 2017 13:28 #761642 by Bama704
KZ900 Clutch issues was created by Bama704
Hey ya'll,

My clutch is not working at all. The last time I rode the bike, a few weeks ago, I had no issues at all nor have I ever had any problems like this. Last year I replaced the clutch plates, friction plates, and springs. My oil is right where it should be in the sight window and it is filled with Rotella T 15w-40. I have adjusted all three points for the clutch adjustment (at clutch lever, on the wire between the pipes, and at the push rod) with no change. If I hold in the clutch and try and roll the bike in first gear it does not engage and the wheel will not spin. Anybody have this happen before? I'm at a loss on what to do.

1977 KZ900
Carbs are late model 1975 28mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2017 13:59 #761643 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
Did you try to rock it back and forth with it pulled in and in gear.... maybe the plates are stuck together.... happened to my Barnett a lot but not the nos plates after a week.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 May 2017 14:07 #761645 by SWest

More
10 May 2017 15:03 #761646 by Bama704
Replied by Bama704 on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
Yes I have tried rocking it back and forth with the lever pulled in.

Steve, it is the stock actuator.

1977 KZ900

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 May 2017 15:24 #761648 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
There is little that can go wrong with it. Is the cover loose?
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 May 2017 16:02 #761651 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
Inner cable fraying ???

Just a wild guess if all other checks fail

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
10 May 2017 16:05 - 10 May 2017 16:06 #761652 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
Was the engine ( OIL ) cold? if not warm it up and try again.
Sometimes this could happen if a bike is not used over a long period, the clutch and friction plates "glued" together (adhesive effect).

Michael
Last edit: 10 May 2017 16:06 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
10 May 2017 16:12 #761654 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
Hi Bama704,
Sure sounds like stuck plates. Is the lever effort normal? Remove the teardrop cover from the countershaft cover. Observe the actuator (the part with the screw and locknut) as the lever is pulled. Does the actuator recede into the cover as it rotates? If so, and if you have a centerstand, try this. CAREFULLY!:
Put the bike on the centerstand. Make sure the rear tire is not touching the ground. Place it in neutral, start it and allow it to idle. You'll probably observe that the rear wheel will begin to turn slowly, even though it's in neutral. Pull the clutch lever in completely while it's idling and shift into 1st. gear. While keeping the clutch lever pulled in, gradually begin applying the rear brake. If the plates are stuck you might have to give it a little throttle to keep the motor running. If the clutch release mechanism is working correctly this should break the plates free. If it doesn't, the next thing to look at would be the clutch pushrod. It might be bent.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
11 May 2017 04:38 #761694 by Bama704

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: Hi Bama704,
Sure sounds like stuck plates. Is the lever effort normal? Remove the teardrop cover from the countershaft cover. Observe the actuator (the part with the screw and locknut) as the lever is pulled. Does the actuator recede into the cover as it rotates? If so, and if you have a centerstand, try this. CAREFULLY!:
Put the bike on the centerstand. Make sure the rear tire is not touching the ground. Place it in neutral, start it and allow it to idle. You'll probably observe that the rear wheel will begin to turn slowly, even though it's in neutral. Pull the clutch lever in completely while it's idling and shift into 1st. gear. While keeping the clutch lever pulled in, gradually begin applying the rear brake. If the plates are stuck you might have to give it a little throttle to keep the motor running. If the clutch release mechanism is working correctly this should break the plates free. If it doesn't, the next thing to look at would be the clutch pushrod. It might be bent.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Thanks for the advice, I will give this a shot. I have removed the teardrop cover from the countershaft cover and the actuator does recede into the cover as it rotates. I will try it this weekend with the rear wheel off the ground on my paddock stand.

Scirocco, I tried it with the oil cold and then I warmed up the bike as well, I had the same thoughts as you that it could be that the oil needs to warm up to get the plates to release.

1977 KZ900

More
11 May 2017 18:19 #761777 by Bama704
I have yet to try the previous advice, but the more I think about it the more I don't know how it would work. If I shift into first, while on center stand (or paddock stand) with the clutch lever pulled in it will still lurch and engage hard because the clutch does nothing for me right now. So letting off of the clutch would do anything is what I mean. I can still try it though....

1977 KZ900

More
11 May 2017 18:38 #761779 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
There is very little complexity to the clutch. Did you ever answer the question of whether the lever has normal resistance when you pull it in? This is the important question. If lever feels normal, but clutch does not release, all it can be logically is the plates are stuck together. Of course if the lever is limp and has no resistance, the problem is in the cable/clutch release are in some form broken. If the plates are stuck, sometimes nothing will release them except for manually disassembling.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
11 May 2017 19:06 #761782 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ900 Clutch issues
If you discover the clutch plates are stuck together you can try this - with the engine turned OFF put the bike in gear; pull in the clutch lever; and rock the bike forward and backward until the plates free up.

If you do that for several minutes and the plates still do not break free there is another method you can try. If you have a hill near your house, or a friend who will push the bike, try this – put the transmission in neutral; roll the bike down the hill or have a friend push it until it’s moving at a decent speed; turn the ignition switch on; slip the transmission into 2nd gear. The engine should now start. Assuming it does, give the bike moderate throttle while pulling in the clutch lever and at the same time applying the brakes. This will normally cause the clutch plates to free up. I used this routine every morning for two years with my BSA when it had aluminum racing clutch plates in it. Be sure to do this where there is no traffic and you do not need to stop quickly as it may take 50 yards or more before the clutch plates free up. Also, under no circumstances start the bike in neutral and slam the tranny into gear while the bike is stationary thinking this will free up the plates. Doing that can break things bigtime! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)