Gasket Prep. for Valve Cover KZ1000 Police

More
13 May 2017 07:50 #761877 by bl_francis
Replied by bl_francis on topic Gasket Prep. for Valve Cover KZ1000 Police

RonKZ650 wrote: I don't think the gasket matters $0.02 which side is up. The way I do it is if the end plugs are not leaking, don't touch them. Put a little Yamabond #4 along the top of each end plug extending a little ways onto the aluminum, then install the gasket and cover and tighten it down, and job done. Now the good part, next time the cover needs to come off, be careful all the gasket is stuck to the head as it's being removed, and the gasket can be reused forever. I bet I had the cover off my KZ650 15 or 20 times and never replaced the gasket. Only time it needs replaced is when it gets broken for some reason. Replacing a cam end plug it takes a little luck to separate the gasket and plug successfully without breaking the gasket.

Yeah, these plugs were hard as rocks so I replaced them. The gasket pretty much disintegrated when I took the cover off. There was oil coming out of the cam plugs and the was a big crack in the gasket near the front LH cam plug.

1987 KZ1000 Police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2017 09:40 - 13 May 2017 09:45 #761879 by bl_francis

VTEC wrote: Had my bike for 35 years, and adjusted the valves many times. OEM gasket, all the way around the cam plugs with sealant, bolt it down wet, and it doesn't leak.

Never saw it in writing, but I always put the side of the gasket with the extra sections of sealant toward the head. And cleaning off the old gasket I keep a narrow nozzle of a vacuum up close while scraping to prevent junk from falling into the engine.

I think I see what you mean. I took the gasket out of the package and the other side looks like this:

This side doesn't look like it has any sealant so the other side must go toward the cylinder head.

Thanks!

1987 KZ1000 Police
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2017 09:45 by bl_francis. Reason: opposite thinking

More
20 May 2017 19:18 #762346 by bl_francis
Cover's back on. I hope it works.

1987 KZ1000 Police
Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2017 16:11 #764904 by VTEC
Well? Did it leak?

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
The following user(s) said Thank You: bl_francis

More
22 Jun 2017 10:26 #765051 by bl_francis
Well, I did a valve adjustment and now the engine is smoking a lot when it starts up and heats up. I don't know if it's related to the valve adjustment, new gasket, new reed valve gaskets, or the elimination of the clean air system. But no, there's no oil leaking! I'm a little discouraged.

1987 KZ1000 Police

More
22 Jun 2017 10:52 #765054 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gasket Prep. for Valve Cover KZ1000 Police

bl_francis wrote: Well, I did a valve adjustment and now the engine is smoking a lot when it starts up and heats up. I don't know if it's related to the valve adjustment, new gasket, new reed valve gaskets, or the elimination of the clean air system. But no, there's no oil leaking! I'm a little discouraged.

If engine smoking is from the exhaust, possibly got some oil running down past worn valve seals and into the exhaust header. If this is the case, should stop smoking when the oil inside the headers burns off after riding a few miles, Worn valve seals typically allow smoking for a few moments after starting a cold engine until a mile or so of riding.

Wouldn't suspect any of the mentioned work to result in oil smoking from the exhaust.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, bl_francis

More
22 Jun 2017 12:15 #765062 by bl_francis
Thanks a lot. That gives me some hope. That's why this place is so great!

1987 KZ1000 Police
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jun 2017 12:32 #765063 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: bl_francis

More
25 Jun 2017 18:53 #765381 by bl_francis
Took it out today and ran it around town. It pretty much stopped with the smoking. Thanks for your help everyone!

1987 KZ1000 Police