Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
27 Apr 2017 18:40 #760438 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P
good luck with the clutch. All I can say is my Z1B doesn't clunk as hard going into gear as does my Coucours 1400. Now that bike has a clunk. Once in gear though shifting is smooth as butter.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Gordoninnc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2017 15:55 - 28 Apr 2017 15:57 #760533 by Gordoninnc
Replied by Gordoninnc on topic Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P
GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just like that I'm back in business.

New friction plates, cable AND now I'm 99.9% sure I know what the manual means when it states " until it gets hard to turn"

I had a fellow off the board PM me and shared his method of adjusting the clutch and it was exactly what I was finding worked best for me.

The bike hasn't shifted this nice since I got it. YES, there is a nice positive "clunk" when it goes into gear but nothing like it was and I'm happy with the cold start up.....shifting on the run and finding neutral now is a snap.

Thanks for taking the time to reply........it sure helped me think through this.

Keep your wheels spinning and the women grinning...........Gordon in NC
Last edit: 28 Apr 2017 15:57 by Gordoninnc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Apr 2017 16:00 #760536 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordoninnc

More
16 May 2017 10:45 #762034 by Conspiracy
Replied by Conspiracy on topic Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P

Gordoninnc wrote: GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just like that I'm back in business.

New friction plates, cable AND now I'm 99.9% sure I know what the manual means when it states " until it gets hard to turn"

And...what was it?
I'm in a similar boat. Turn in until "it gets hard to turn" Does that mean until I can't turn it anymore? Or does it mean some resistance...?
After talking with the mechanic he said if I am missing gears it might be turned in too much. I plan on adjusting soon again.

On a side note, if anyone is watching, I replaced my cable and had everything adjusted properly with 2-3mm of slack at the lever. I rode maybe 20 miles on it and then over the course of maybe the next two miles I had nearly full slack. The lever adjuster nor the mid adjuster moved so I have no clue where the extra slack came from. If my locknut came loose is it possible my adjuster rod came loose as well? Would a "too loose" adjuster rode make me miss shifts?

Novice rider
1976 KZ900