2002 KZ1000 Police Clutch problem

More
15 Apr 2017 15:00 #759241 by Gordoninnc
Replied by Gordoninnc on topic 2002 KZ1000 Police Clutch problem
Well......that was easy enough.

BUT......you guys that had it over extend again after you'd ridden it some......what made it do that? That has me worried a bit because it looks so cut and dry?

Going to let my brother ride it next weekend and we're going to do around 700 miles. I could do the repair along the side of the road......but I like the idea of doing my wrenching in the shop so I can enjoy the ride.

Little help here fellows. I was very careful it stayed in place while I was re-installing it. I've ridden it around a bit and so far so good.

Gordon in NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Apr 2017 15:43 #759243 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 2002 KZ1000 Police Clutch problem
If you use plenty of grease you could hold it upside down and it would stay put.
Steve

More
15 Apr 2017 16:05 - 15 Apr 2017 16:10 #759245 by Gordoninnc
Yea no joke Steve......I had to push it in and hold it because it wanted to push itself back out from the air that was trapped in it. Once it quit moving.....I don't think it would fall out if you left it upside down all night.

I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease......good stuff in my book. Had to re-adjust the middle adjuster once i moved the lever a few times, figured that was the grease getting pushed out of the pocket for the push rod.

Cleaned and added a light smear of grease to the push rod while I was in there.

The DPO ( don't you just love em?) musta used CHAIN LUBE on the upper part of the cable......you could barely turn the adjuster at the lever because it was so gummed up. rest of the cable was dry as a bone???????? Geeze, some folks don't deserve to own motorcycles.

I believe the guys that said it overextended again.....I would just like to know WHY. I see how I did it when I turned the adjuster the wrong way. But for the life of me I can't see it doing it again.....and if it could I want to know what to look for.

"Grease it up real good and ride the piss out of it"

oh yea

Gordon in NC
Last edit: 15 Apr 2017 16:10 by Gordoninnc.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Apr 2017 17:45 #759255 by SWest
The "EZ Pull" is well known for that. My 350 Honda did the same thing. From out of nowhere POP, no clutch.
Steve

More
15 Apr 2017 18:29 #759260 by Gordoninnc
So you must be right at the edge with the adjustment and it could just over extend any time????....great news.

I guess it doesn't take much to pull the balls out of the ramp?

Is there anything you can do to prevent it?

Gordon in NC

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Apr 2017 19:11 #759262 by SWest
The only thing I can suggest it to adjust it at the cover then take the slack out of the cable leaving enough free play at the lever.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Gordoninnc

More
16 Apr 2017 05:21 - 16 Apr 2017 05:22 #759277 by Gordoninnc
Thanks Steve. I started the adjustment at the release. Turned counterclockwise until I felt pressure...backed off 1/4 turn tightened the lock nut. Moved up to the middle adjuster and took out all of the slack. At the handle bar lever I had left about a 1/4" of travel in the adjuster and got my final adjustment with that. leaving 1/8" of play at the lever.
Now I'll just have to wait to see if the Kawasaki God will take pity on me and let it be.

Thank you for all your help. For now....I'm just going to ride the piss out of it and keep my fingers crossed.

Beautiful day here in NC.........hope your part of the world is too.

Gordon in NC
Last edit: 16 Apr 2017 05:22 by Gordoninnc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest