1987 KZ1000p Clutch Problem

More
20 Mar 2017 20:47 #757269 by pirate life
1987 KZ1000p Clutch Problem was created by pirate life
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and new to the KZ scene. I got a good deal on a 1987 KZ1000p. By good deal I mean I paid $220.00 for it from some kid that had no idea what he was doing, so he really didn't mess with the bike much, I think he rebuilt the carbs which might I add I am having to do over again but hey we all started somewhere so I'm not holding it against him. He originally gave $750 and now $220 later I am the proud new owner of the sexy "pig machine" (my ol lady named it)

So the problem I am having, it runs fine, all the gears are there but I have no clutch. I took my plates out (not my first project) cleaned them with emory cloth and reinstalled (they were stuck together) I replaced the clutch return spring because the old one was so bent and deformed my lever wouldn't return but 3/4 of the way back out. My lever now returns to the proper position but I can put it down in 1st and pull the clutch in and try and spin the back wheel off the ground and it still feels as if it's in gear and has no clutch... I am so confused here and would really like some help with this build. I'm really excited to get the Pig Machine on the road and my clutch problem is the main thing keeping this dream from becoming reality. I don't know what else to do. My dad is a good motorcycle mechanic (i'm 26, a veteran and raised to fix things myself, Alabama born and bred) but he lives an hour away from me and I am just so puzzled as to why my clutch isn't engaging and it's really consuming my days at work trying to troubleshoot the problem in my head. No local bike shops want to offer any insight as to what I should do next either... Is it something simple and I'm making it seem more complicated or is it just a KZ thing that I'm not familiar with?

I have done the following, Checked the clutch cable, return spring, push rod (it has some grooves in it from some unknown source) Cleaned my clutch plates, reinstalled everything in proper order, the only thing I haven't done is put oil back in it and cranked it up and tried shifting gears with it running. I figured I would be able to pull the clutch lever in with it in gear and rotate the rear wheel by hand and feel it atleast semi free spinning.... HELP ME PLEASE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Mar 2017 21:39 #757272 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1987 KZ1000p Clutch Problem
On the left hand side at the shifter is a sprocket cover. On that cover is a little door where the adjuster screw is. Loosen the cable all the way, tighten the screw until you feel it bottom then back it out 1/4-1/8 turn. Take out the slack in the cable and see if it works.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, pirate life

More
21 Mar 2017 04:47 - 21 Mar 2017 06:17 #757287 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1987 KZ1000p Clutch Problem
I'm assuming you tried a clutch release adjustment. In what direction are you turning the clutch release adjusting screw?
On the KZ1000-P, it may be that you're supposed to turn it counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn. see the owner's manual or factory service manual for the procedure. some manuals are ambiguous as to the direction to turn it. On some models it's clockwise first. my 81 650 is counterclockwise first.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2017 06:17 by martin_csr.

More
21 Mar 2017 15:38 #757336 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic 1987 KZ1000p Clutch Problem
Here are the manual pages for the clutch adjustment.

Here is the manual page for the clutch release which is under the sprocket cover.

Your clutch release mechanism may be different than shown, I have an '88 and it is different. I would still recommend pulling apart what you have, cleaning, greasing and reassembling.

Now go buy an Kawasaki manual. If you are going to keep that bike running you will need it.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, pirate life

More
22 Mar 2017 10:43 #757402 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic 1987 KZ1000p Clutch Problem
Your clutch may be just fine. The KZ's use a "wet" clutch and they need some oil between the plates to fully release. It's a common issue when new (dry) plates have been installed or even after the bike has been sitting for a while. The oil will drain out from between the plates. You can remove the clutch plates and soak them in oil overnight. If the bike is running, allow an extended warm-up, grab a handful of front brake and drop it into gear. After a few lurches and stalls the clutch will break free and be fine. There's enough drag on a normally operating clutch that it would be difficult to rotate the rear wheel by hand with the bike in-gear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1