• Skiprrdog
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
More
14 Mar 2017 21:42 #756762 by Skiprrdog
Replied by Skiprrdog on topic Leaks, leaks and more leaks
--Steve... Thank you!
--Patton...thanks for the diagrams. I have to get a new battery for my meter, so tomorrow I am going to spec everything out. Plugs are new(er), but first just for the heck of it I will swap plugs on two sides and see if it makes a difference. The bike also has a new (PO) Dyna S module in it. The left coil I have connected to 1 and four, and the right coil to two and three.

1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca
1984 Harley Davidson FXRDG

#BlackBikesMatter
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2017 05:19 #756776 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Leaks, leaks and more leaks
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

SWest wrote: Smear a light coat of silicon on the gasket and threads of the bolt. Yes, there is oil in there.I get my gaskets here.

Steve

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/599607...od-guys?limitstart=0

DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING SILICON ON THE BOLT THREADS!

Keep that silicone crap out of your motor. I see this all the time when I tear down engines. There isn't a single bolt in that engine that requires any silicone.

Replace the seal and gasket. Get a tube of Permatex Moto Seal and apply a thin coat to the gasket on both sides. Moto Seal is similar to to OEM case sealer but costs much less. I've been using it for several years.

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rrsmsw9999

More
15 Mar 2017 08:12 #756790 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Leaks, leaks and more leaks

Get a tube of Permatex Moto Seal and apply a thin coat to the gasket on both sides. Moto Seal is similar to to OEM case sealer but costs much less

Is Moto Seal similar to Kawabond 5 (black) or 4 (silver)? I prefer 5. I believe "5" is the non-hardening. I always have to special order it and the stuff is expensive (still cheaper than fixing an oil leak though). Yamaha's 4 stroke YZ engines use no gasket between the center cases, just a thin coat of Yamabond 5 (same as Kawabond). I rebuilt several YZ bottom ends when my son was racing and never had a leaker.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
15 Mar 2017 15:01 #756823 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Leaks, leaks and more leaks
As Larry C said, no silicon liquid gasket.
I use Hylomar® M on engines,easy to clean and it does not harden.

hylomar.com/hylomar-product-range/gasket...ounds/#universalblue

Used at last on a MERCEDES EATON M45 compressor i have overhauling for a friend,(no gasket housing).
(be warned if you do some maintenance, the old oil in the compressor smells like ape shit).

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Skiprrdog
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
More
15 Mar 2017 18:48 - 15 Mar 2017 18:49 #756840 by Skiprrdog
Okay... I am actually scared because you know what ape shit smells like :)

1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter
Last edit: 15 Mar 2017 18:49 by Skiprrdog.

• Skiprrdog
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "Are we there yet?"
More
15 Mar 2017 18:58 - 15 Mar 2017 18:59 #756843 by Skiprrdog
Every time I work on this bike, more questions pop up... I hope that stops after a while :)

Syncing the carbs again today, and now I have a 2K idle with the idle adjust screwed all the way out.... what did I miss?

Also, I did a compression check when I first got the bike, but after I had squirted some oil in the cylinders (bike sat for a while) knowing that the numbers I got would be a little high (190, 195, 210, 210) I rechecked just #1 and #4 after the sync, and got 175 on number one and 180 on number four. So number one went down 15 psi, and number four went down thirty psi. I do not think I am overly concerned with the big drop on four, as the numbers are still respectable, and the only reason I mention it is the bike smokes a little when I roll the throttle hard, could just be residual oil and/or having sat for a while?

Thanks!
Skip

1983 KZ1100 A-3 Shaft
1976 KZ900
1975 H2 Triple
1984 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

#BlackBikesMatter
Last edit: 15 Mar 2017 18:59 by Skiprrdog.

More
15 Mar 2017 19:36 #756845 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Leaks, leaks and more leaks

Skiprrdog wrote: --Steve... Thank you!
--Patton...thanks for the diagrams. I have to get a new battery for my meter, so tomorrow I am going to spec everything out. Plugs are new(er), but first just for the heck of it I will swap plugs on two sides and see if it makes a difference. The bike also has a new (PO) Dyna S module in it. The left coil I have connected to 1 and four, and the right coil to two and three.

Those would be resistor caps on the end of your plug wires, and likely copper-core wires. Wouldn't hurt to check each one for tightness...they are just screwed on the wire ends.
What make and number are printed on the spark plugs?

1982 KZ1100-A2