CrankShaft Seal Info

More
06 Mar 2017 18:32 - 06 Mar 2017 18:33 #755993 by Hamman
CrankShaft Seal Info was created by Hamman
Hey guys, got the motor all buttoned up and running great! Before replacing the valve guide seals, valve lapping, new piston rings and cylinder hone, the crankcase breather would smoke pretty bad and stall out at idle when hot. It had the proper amount of oil in it as well. A mechanic friend of mine told me that the crankshaft seal could be bad ( I checked and it did have signs of oil around it behind the pulser) and that if it is bad, it will allow air to blow by it and push any oil out the breather. The bike most likely did sit for a very very long time before I purchased it. Can you just replace the crankshaft seal by pulling the old seal out and taping in the new one? Or is it a split...? There isn't a ton of info out here on this. Also it stalls out at idle after it is nice and hot, he said another sign of it getting too much air..??? It is a 1981 KZ750LTD 4 cyl. Thanks. I have a video of it stalling out and the smoking I'd be happy to upload too.

1981 KZ750LTD H2
Last edit: 06 Mar 2017 18:33 by Hamman. Reason: info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Mar 2017 18:38 #755994 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic CrankShaft Seal Info
Your friend is wrong. Can you put up the video?
Steve

More
06 Mar 2017 19:52 #756005 by Hamman
Replied by Hamman on topic CrankShaft Seal Info
I'll post it up in the morning

1981 KZ750LTD H2

More
06 Mar 2017 20:09 - 06 Mar 2017 20:11 #756007 by Hamman
Heres the video. As you can see the breather is smoking pretty badly. I accidentally cut the video short, but literally right after the video ends, the bike stalls out. The electronics i.e. coils, etc... are all ok. Coils don't seem to be shorting out, nothing turns off! Very strange behavior. Bike isn't running rich either, more on the lean side. Thanks guys!

1981 KZ750LTD H2
Attachments:

IMG_3056.MOV

Last edit: 06 Mar 2017 20:11 by Hamman. Reason: Info

More
06 Mar 2017 20:19 #756009 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic CrankShaft Seal Info
It's not the seal.

You got no airbox and it sounds like an open pipe. Ain't gonna run for crap like that unless get some quality pods like K&N's, not junky Emgo's, and a proper jet kit...and a muffler.

More
06 Mar 2017 20:23 #756012 by Hamman
I do have K&N pods, just not on in the video. Along with a Kirker exhaust with shorty tip. The carbs have a dynojet kit and have been set to accommodate the filter and exhaust. Makes no difference with the filters on or off for the smoke/stalling issue. Thanks!!

1981 KZ750LTD H2

More
06 Mar 2017 20:28 #756013 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic CrankShaft Seal Info
It's not the seal.

You need to put the K&N's back on. And make sure they are clean and oiled.

Try tweaking the pilot screws to see if that smooths out the idle. Then sync the carbs.

When was the last valve adjustment?

More
06 Mar 2017 20:34 #756015 by Hamman
Same time as everything else. Just wrapped it all up today. All 8 valves are right in spec. I'll oil up the K&N's too. Thanks

1981 KZ750LTD H2

More
08 Mar 2017 16:18 #756194 by Hamman
Ok, so on the crankshaft seal on the RH side, I am guessing that is a split the case type of replacement?? Thanks guys.

1981 KZ750LTD H2

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Mar 2017 17:06 #756196 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic CrankShaft Seal Info
your bike sounds like 2 cylinder engine, put filters and mufflers on and do sync your carbs.
Are all header pipes hot when running? Float bowl high ok? Pilot screws set to reference adjustment?
Intake boot sealed proper?
Do this first before splitting the case,step by step.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
08 Mar 2017 17:51 - 08 Mar 2017 18:01 #756199 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic CrankShaft Seal Info
If the seal is not leaking a bunch of oil LEAVE IT ALONE. It has nothing to do with engine performance or your blowby problem. Your "mechanic" friend is an idiot.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 18:01 by baldy110.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, SWest, Hamman

More
08 Mar 2017 18:31 #756203 by Hamman
Sounds good guys. I will leave it. I'll toss the filters back on. It does have an exhaust on it, It has V&H headers and a shorty muffler with no silencer. New intake boots replaced about 6 months ago. All pipes are running good. 3/4 are running the hottest, 2 was pretty hot and 1 was past warm. All 4 sizzled water when sprayed. Pilot screws set to what Dynojet recommended with the according jets and filter/exhaust setup. I'll spend some time with the bike. Just odd how it dies. I think the smoking can be resolved by a good hot long run. Thanks guys as always.

1981 KZ750LTD H2