Recommended Headwork for Slightly Overbored GPZ110

More
15 Jan 2017 00:01 #752223 by daveo

GPzEric wrote: This has turned out to be quite a topic!

I may be wet with this train of thought, but hopefully not all-wet...
The primary purpose behind using the OEM STD Pistons and Rings was to save money, since I had already spent $70 on the NOS piston set, and the rings were another $50 or so. I got a NOS set of 17mm wrist pins for $30ish, and a low-mile cylinder block for about $100.
It helped to hunt for parts on ebay, and pick them up when really great deals popped up, like they used to.

Anyhow, besides saving on parts, my train of thought went something like this: Installing aftermarket pistons in a bored-out cylinder block was counterproductive and way too expensive for my situation. I did not want to get locked into using premium fuel, nor did I like thoughts of cooking in the summer swelter with a heat pump throbbing between my legs. :dry:
The bottom line of that logic was that smaller pistons and lower compression might possibly permit the motor to wind up easier and faster with less internal pressures and part mass fighting the effort. Over and above that, it would just have to scream at the higher RPM's... :woohoo:

It do :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2017 06:36 - 15 Jan 2017 06:36 #752232 by DFIGPZ
WOW You are a idiot . Look at the first post on this topic I do not think the orig poster wants replace cranks and rods and run high CR he wants and nice running street engine and as for carbs just how many have you done ? Tuned,? how many engines have you put together ? I have done hundreds Street ,Drag etc , how many DFI have you tuned ? Converted ? I have done plenty of both I am trying to save the first poster a lot of headaches and money . Now every post on this site gets way out in left field because of to many KEYBOARD ENGINE BUILDERS not the ones who get there hand dirty.

1984 750 Turbo
Last edit: 15 Jan 2017 06:36 by DFIGPZ.

More
15 Jan 2017 07:21 #752237 by Nebr_Rex

DFIGPZ wrote:

diego092409 wrote: Very interesting, so I should save my pennies once I have it running for a 1983 or 1984 GPZ1100 Head and cams? It will be a direct plug and play?

In the interim until I find that unicorn, does anyone know the max lift that I can get with stock valve springs if I decide to put in an aftermarket cam later on?

Edit; Added a word

Like I said before save our pennies and have stock head ported , VJ etc you will be farther ahead Common Sense I have put hundreds of KZ / GPZ engines together leave the 83 /84 heads for the drag racers and top end power . can you use the 83 /84 head yes but valve angles are not the same these people who say yea they put carbs on 83 /84 1100 W/O issue are BS a lot of tuning involved or the use of aftermarket carbs look at all the post on this site about pods not working these same members that tell this BS cannot even get carbs with pods on stock machines tuned never the less one that has a head with low velocity at low rpms , also these same people were the first to scrap the factory DFI on the 83/84 1100s because they did not have a clue on how to make it work , these same people want to trap you into doing this. the better way would be do the stock head to 84 cfm vs the 83 /84 also 84 cfm and the one with ported head will have better street manners. Take it for what its worth or just get a 83 /84 head port it to 120cfm and let me know how it does on the street .

+1
Velocity is a good thing.
I have a LTD head on my 1100. The exhaust port has been cleaned up. I left the intake port alone. The intake ports are huge compared to the KZ heads.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
15 Jan 2017 15:26 #752267 by 750 R1

DFIGPZ wrote: WOW You are a idiot . Look at the first post on this topic I do not think the orig poster wants replace cranks and rods and run high CR he wants and nice running street engine and as for carbs just how many have you done ? Tuned,? how many engines have you put together ? I have done hundreds Street ,Drag etc , how many DFI have you tuned ? Converted ? I have done plenty of both I am trying to save the first poster a lot of headaches and money . Now every post on this site gets way out in left field because of to many KEYBOARD ENGINE BUILDERS not the ones who get there hand dirty.

Grow up mate, your cheap {illiterate} name calling says more about you, even more than your lack of respect for anyone elses knowledge or opinions here. Without making assumptions you wouldn't have that much to say ... :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Jan 2017 15:42 - 15 Jan 2017 15:44 #752269 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Recommended Headwork for Slightly Overbored GPZ110
Hi Guys
Im going to strongly suggest that cooler heads prevail here .

KZR is for positive responses to topics.

Hopefully , enough said

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 15 Jan 2017 15:44 by Street Fighter LTD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, SWest

More
15 Jan 2017 20:25 - 15 Jan 2017 20:32 #752281 by daveo
Bathtub heads are pretty cool... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ........., :whistle:

Sorry Dave, I just couldn't help it. :cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 15 Jan 2017 20:32 by daveo.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Jan 2017 05:15 #752291 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Recommended Headwork for Slightly Overbored GPZ110
Yes they are Daveo :lol:
Feel free to debate subjects until the cows come home , Or is it Kaws come home LOL

No Flames are needed . Debate, Argue, Make your point , WE all enjoy reading strong opinions and facts.

But no flames please ;)

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
16 Jan 2017 05:57 #752292 by diego092409
Replied by diego092409 on topic Recommended Headwork for Slightly Overbored GPZ110
Everyone,

Thanks for the insight. Due to financial constraints and common sense, I re-honed my existing cylinders and bought new piston rings to give the bike a refresh. I am only looking for a bike to commute to work about 20 min each way, teach motorcycle experienced rider classes and go get ice cream. If I want to get my triple digit, tri-state afternoon fix, I will cake my beemer. I have learned a lot in this project.

I am going with the stock fuel injection, because, I am like fuel injection. I am not a fan of carbs. I

I plan on re-honing the valves and when I do, I will be seeing how I can polish the ports and clean up the valve stems with some emery cloth.

Thank you for all the impassioned debate but have decided to keep things as close to what they were (it is a fast bike stock).

1982 KZ1100 B2 - 'Old Red' kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601185-gpz-1100-resto-mod-old-red
2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
2018 Kymco Spade (wife's)
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958