1980 KZ750 LTD H valve shim question

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Dec 2016 07:21 #750774 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1980 KZ750 LTD H valve shim question

H1Vindicator wrote: I adjusted valve clearances to smallest spec that sounds like a great idea too.

FYI, the valve clearances decrease with mileage on the bike as the valves pound and recede into the seats. That's why it's always best to target clearances at the top of the specied range when adjusting the valves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2016 07:27 - 27 Dec 2016 12:09 #750775 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic 1980 KZ750 LTD H valve shim question
the comment was sarcasm. the tops of c-5-c's valves are probably going to wear, so c-5-c's clearance is going to get tighter quicker.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2016 12:09 by H1Vindicator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Dec 2016 10:39 #750784 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1980 KZ750 LTD H valve shim question
Totally erroneous information. The valve stems must be perfectly flat where the lifter sits for obvious reasons. :dry:
Steve.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Dec 2016 12:20 #750788 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1980 KZ750 LTD H valve shim question

H1Vindicator wrote: the comment was sarcasm. the tops of c-5-c's valves are probably going to wear, so c-5-c's clearance is going to get tighter quicker.

Sorry man, it's hard to know sometimes if people are serious or not. :side:

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
27 Dec 2016 12:33 #750790 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic 1980 KZ750 LTD H valve shim question

swest wrote: Totally erroneous information. The valve stems must be perfectly flat where the lifter sits for obvious reasons. :dry:
Steve.

When I had to install new intake valves, the shop forgot to take some off the stem even though I left him a shop manual for reference. Installed the head and started checking shims only to find I was going to need a bunch of thin shims. A couple of people who I respect said go with the thin shims. But But But...the clearance gets thinner as the valves and seats wear. So I took the head back off and went back to the machine shop. No charge for grinding the valve stems because as the machinist said he should have known.
Shims I'm using now is similar in size to what has been used for the last 41 years. The shims might be a little thicker but there are a bunch to go before having to worry about running out of shim thickness.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14