Progress so far.

More
18 Dec 2016 12:21 #750370 by McZed
Progress so far. was created by McZed
Progress is going fairly well with my KZ 1000 J1. So far II have checked the valve clearances, rebuilt the brakes, new braided brake lines, new rubbers in the master cylinders and calipers, so if nothing else it stops pretty good.Cleaned and re-built the carbs. I renewed the starter clutch and here is where my present problem started. When I removed the damaged flywheel there was evidence that it had been slipping on the crankshaft, it's the type with a tapered fit and no woodruff key, so it has to be a tight fit. I got a replacement rotor of the same type, but presumably due to the scoring on the crankshaft end I cant seem to get it bolted up tight enough to stop it from slipping. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Dec 2016 13:34 #750373 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Progress so far.
Next time I have mine off I'll lap it on with valve grinding compound. Never tried that before. :dry:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: McZed

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
18 Dec 2016 15:04 - 18 Dec 2016 15:07 #750381 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Progress so far.

swest wrote: Next time I have mine off I'll lap it on with valve grinding compound. Never tried that before. :dry:
Steve

I had the same issue, once the taper gets to spin you have to use valve grinding paste to lap it in till it starts to lock on taper, then I tightened it to the torque specs in the manual Note: there is a huge difference in torque from the Z900 (taper with key and smaller bolt) to the 1000 (no taper and larger bolt). The other problem I had was the inner washer with the rubber lip (on the starter gear), there are three sizes in width, if you have the wrong size (I got the larger size through ebay :blush: :blush: )you might not be able to tighten the rotor onto the taper properly. If you have an original you should be ok.
The 1000J1 has a different alternator but the taper has the same "arrangement" as the older KZ

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)
Last edit: 18 Dec 2016 15:07 by Bozo. Reason: added text

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Dec 2016 17:05 #750386 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Progress so far.
Using some Loctite bearing and stud compound on the taper may help. I'd do the lapping business first though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bozo, McZed

More
18 Dec 2016 18:53 #750392 by tfh903
Replied by tfh903 on topic Progress so far.
When I removed the damaged flywheel there was evidence that it had been slipping on the crankshaft, it's the type with a tapered fit and no woodruff key, so it has to be a tight fit.
Had same prob.. 78 1000 .. emory cloth both pieces where they fit together, LOTS of blue locktight, torqued to 5lbs more than spec (55 ft lbs ??), So far, so good. even with 180 static compression.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
18 Dec 2016 22:53 #750404 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Progress so far.

Nessism wrote: Using some Loctite bearing and stud compound on the taper may help. I'd do the lapping business first though.

I was going to mention Loctite but forgot. Don't use emery cloth because the surfaces need to be a 100% fit, the only way to do that is to put valve paste on the tapers (both ) and rotate slowly til you don't hear/ feel any rough grinding (use course initally) do this till you can see that the faces are evenly warn. Then you you think you got it right gently tap the rotor on a dry/clean shaft, in theory it should lock on, take it off again, Apply loctite (small amount evenly) and do up the bolt to the torque in manual. that should not come off unless you want it to.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

More
19 Dec 2016 14:40 #750448 by McZed
Replied by McZed on topic Progress so far.
Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it another try this weekend. Hopefully this is the last hurdle and I can get it on the road for the new year.
:cheer:

More
19 Dec 2016 14:46 #750450 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Progress so far.
Plus one on what Bozo added about the correct bolt, washers and spacers. There are differences among sources of the same part number rotor and possible damage to the crank from past spin weld etc. I understand lapping it could aid, but if it don't tighten up my guess is wrong rotor, wrong crank or wrong mounting hardware spacers. Half the time getting em off's the PIA. Good luck. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016