Countershaft tranny bearing

More
05 Nov 2016 04:43 #747319 by JOE MKII
Countershaft tranny bearing was created by JOE MKII
I just started working on my 1980 KZ1000 MKII, I received it with and the motor didn't turn over, I knew it was transmission related and tracked it down to the bearing at the front sprocket countershaft.
I did a few searches and this looks like a it might be a common failure.

Is this common?
What else should I look for once the trans is out?
I have ability but it is limited as far as measuring run outs and stuff like that.
Do you all think its best to send it out to be checked or just replace the bearing (if all else looks good to the eye) ?

I know theses are pretty broad questions I have limited experience with KZ's and I have no factory manual and they seem to be a scarce commodity so ALL advice is appreciated.
Thanks

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Nov 2016 07:19 #747332 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Countershaft tranny bearing
I tried to repair my tranny but it didn't last long. I wound up buying a low mile KZ 900 one, back cut the 2nd gear dogs myself and have been running it 2 years no problems. The countershaft bearing is pretty stout. It could have been damaged by the sprocket coming off or the PO running a junk chain too long.I'd like to see pics of the rest of it.
Steve

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
05 Nov 2016 08:30 #747333 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Countershaft tranny bearing
One of the most common causes of countershaft bearing failure is running the final drive chain too tight. We have over 60,000 mi. on two of out Z-1's and between 15,000 and 35,000 miles on our other three, all on the original bottom ends.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like there is damage to the sprocket end of the shift fork shaft?
How much bearing debris was in the pan?
If the bearing failed under load, could it have flexed the countershaft in the case enough to damage the case at the opposite end from the failed bearing?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Nov 2016 08:45 #747336 by SWest
2nd gear usually goes out before anything else. The later models have a bolt in place of the nut and keeper washer. The bolt has a habit of coming out. Once that happens all hell can break loose.
Steve

More
05 Nov 2016 11:30 #747342 by JOE MKII
Replied by JOE MKII on topic Countershaft tranny bearing
The shift fork shaft is ok on each end where it is in the cases, I went and rechecked after your post and saw the pic but its an optical.
I have the same fear of the case being damaged at the other end, we will see when I find time to spit it.
There is debris from the cage, I found all the balls and the outer ring broke and once I split it I will see if any parts of the outer race is missing . Theres not a lot debris Iso far.
I have an advantage in that this is a bike that was in the family from new so I know its history well, spent most of my youth riding next to it :)
The damage happened in a street drag race with a Buell he went to hit second when it happened , figured it was second gear, but he just parked it and it sat from 1998 until I just started it last week.

Who rebuilds KZ trannys well, any recommendation if I go that route?
Both my other bikes where done by MRE and are great, the GS has over 20,000 miles and some abuse and NO issues.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Nov 2016 11:38 #747344 by SWest
I wish I had $1600 for a six speed tranny. It can be rebuilt if you can afford it. What made the bearing grenade?
Steve

More
05 Nov 2016 13:52 #747352 by JOE MKII
Replied by JOE MKII on topic Countershaft tranny bearing

swest wrote: I wish I had $1600 for a six speed tranny. It can be rebuilt if you can afford it. What made the bearing grenade?
Steve

6 speed would be awesome! But 1,600$ :blink:

The guy (cousin and good friend) i got the bike from worked at Buell and one of his, and a few other guys job, was to take the preproduction Buell's home and ride them around, This was one way they tested pre production bikes. He was out with a bunch of guys from Buell and they decided to to see if the Buell or the Kz was faster, so they drag raced.
It was a redline shift into second and it locked up so he got it home and simply parked it and just rode his personal Buell and the Buell's from work from then on.

He passed away 5 years ago and I received the left overs of his Japanese bikes, which included the H2 750 which was a rolling chassis and the rest just parts, and the KZ. I finished the H2 so now I am on to the KZ hoping to bring it back to life.