Copper base gasket

More
04 Nov 2016 15:21 #747277 by loneagle
Copper base gasket was created by loneagle
I'm getting ready to assemble my top end and was considering running a thinner base gasket to reduce deck height. I seems the pistons are down deck about .020 at TDC. The gaskets are available in .005 and .010 thickness. I'd spray both sides of the gasket with sealer before assembly. I'm a bit concerned with the gasket surfaces not being flat enough and having a poor seal. My bike will be used on the street. I need some suggestions please!

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Nov 2016 16:36 #747282 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Copper base gasket
Copper gaskets have a tendency to weep. Not much to be gained by a fraction of an inch. IMO
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: loneagle

More
04 Nov 2016 16:55 #747285 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Copper base gasket
I agree with Steve. And it's such a pain in the ass to tear down and fix if it does leak.
I'd use a .015" composite gasket and a spray film of copper coat, etc

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: loneagle

More
04 Nov 2016 17:06 #747288 by loneagle
Replied by loneagle on topic Copper base gasket
OK, I'll just go with the stock gasket. Thanks for the help! :)

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide

More
05 Nov 2016 04:26 #747318 by JOE MKII
Replied by JOE MKII on topic Copper base gasket
I would have assumed copper, especially on the base gasket would good. Properly annealed and coated it should not leak, and the ones I have worked with where super easy to dissassmble and reusable many times. And there a great way to fine tune clearances if your into that sort of tuning, but my experience is limited and I have only used them on 2 stokes.

I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Nov 2016 06:57 #747330 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Copper base gasket
2 strokes are a different kettle of fish. Unless it's a race motor the big fours will go for a long, long time without major work. Normally the only leak will be the O ring around the cam chain tunnel. Usually it's because the material has hardened and cracked. By that time the "rubberized" rollers will be doing the same thing and need to be replaced. The Liska rollers will hold up indefinitely at 1/2 the price but that still leaves the center idler below the barrels and the guide in the front where the head meets the barrels. I've thought about a copper gasket but the gasket is so cheap and the seal so good, I wouldn't go with copper there. I did go with a one piece head gasket due to the O ring issue. Enen a new one started leaking the first year in 13. NOS rubber is bunk and I have no confidence in the aftermarket ones. Mine is fiber but next time I will install a one piece copper head gasket. Maybe. :whistle:
Steve

More
05 Nov 2016 11:37 #747343 by JOE MKII
Replied by JOE MKII on topic Copper base gasket
Makes sense.
I hate weeping or leaking gaskets, and 2 strokes can be SOOOOO easily rebuilt so on those its not a big deal if it where to happen and they are so different.

I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"