Exhaust Valves and Compression

More
24 Oct 2016 17:10 #746122 by solon
Exhaust Valves and Compression was created by solon
I acquired an 1974 KZ 400 earlier this year and it has been my project bike. I recently noticed that when I would roll the throttle on, the bike would bog for a split second before accelerating properly. Over the course of my last ride this problem progressed to the point where the right cylinder does not seem to be firing properly if at all. The bike makes a funny buzzing noise when this happens. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with something like this. My hypothesis is that the valves need to be properly adjusted and that cylinder is not compressing and firing. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Oct 2016 17:41 #746127 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: solon

More
24 Oct 2016 18:35 #746131 by solon
Replied by solon on topic Exhaust Valves and Compression
I figured as much. I've got the manual, I just haven't gone through with it yet. Do these symptoms sound familiar?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Oct 2016 18:55 #746135 by SWest

More
24 Oct 2016 19:09 #746137 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Exhaust Valves and Compression

solon wrote: My hypothesis is that the valves need to be properly adjusted and that cylinder is not compressing and firing. Any thoughts?

Adjusting the valves is one of the most basic of maintenance tasks. You should adjust them first thing before even attempting to put the bike on the road.